Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Arrested by Police for Buying a $180 Moped on Facebook Marketplace

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Nevada

I bought a moped for $180 off Facebook Marketplace. The seller tricked me, said she had no title because the bike was so old, created a fake VIN # by scratching the last two digits of the number, and then made up fake bill of sale documents with fake signatures and notary stamps. Two days after buying the moped, I was arrested by some bully Las Vegas cops who treated me like total trash because they said I stole the moped. Although I explained everything and showed the fake paperwork the seller gave me and told my story to the police, they still arrested me and charged me with felony possession of a stolen vehicle. This is so crazy, all I wanted to do was buy a cheap moped to drive around for work, not go to jail. I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this situation before?

All my friends are telling me the case will get thrown out when I go to court next month because I am a victim. However, there's always that slim chance that something bad happens like me getting found guilty? I know I'm totally innocent and I have all the proof. Should I worry if I get a court-appointed lawyer to show the evidence? I can't believe this happened to me. Buyer Beware when you buy something on FB Marketplace because it might be stolen.

Default Re: Arrested by Police for Buying a $180 Moped on Facebook Marketplace

If the case is weak, the DA may choose not to pursue it. If, however, they have sufficient evidence to pursue the charges, they will.

Provide your attorney with all the info you have and listen to his advice. I assume you have the FB profile and contact info of the seller, right?

How did you come to the attention of the police? What did you do that drew their attention to you and the moped in the first place?

A good rule of thumb when buying things online from strangers is if the deal is too good to be true, it isn't! (good, a deal, or true)
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    If the case is weak, the DA may choose not to pursue it. If, however, they have sufficient evidence to pursue the charges, they will.

Provide your attorney with all the info you have and listen to his advice. I assume you have the FB profile and contact info of the seller, right?

How did you come to the attention of the police? What did you do that drew their attention to you and the moped in the first place?

A good rule of thumb when buying things online from strangers is if the deal is too good to be true, it isn't! (good, a deal, or true)
    I just googled the cost of a new moped and I don't think that what he paid for a used one was all that cheap...so I don't think that I would have thought it was a deal too good to be true.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    I just googled the cost of a new moped and I don't think that what he paid for a used one was all that cheap...so I don't think that I would have thought it was a deal too good to be true.
    Maybe not. But, the way he was talking made it sound like he got a deal of some kind. The question is, was it actually a MOPED? Or, was it some sort of scooter? I don't see many true mopeds out there anymore.

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post

My guess would be he tried to register it.

The statute he was likely charged under by his description (charged me with felony possession of a stolen vehicle) requires knowledge of it being stolen or a belief that it was stolen.

1. A person commits an offense involving a stolen vehicle if the person:

(a) With the intent to procure or pass title to a motor vehicle which the person knows or has reason to believe has been stolen, receives or transfers possession of the vehicle from or to another person; or

(b) Has in his or her possession a motor vehicle which the person knows or has reason to believe has been stolen.
    https://law.justia.com/codes/nevada/...rs205-273.html

Which implies something more than simply finding him in possession. Though, that is not a certainty. Depending on the details, they may think they can show that he knew or reasonably should have known it was stolen. Whether a prosecutor will agree has yet to be seen.

I ask HOW it came to the police's attention, because it may have come to their attention in some other way. We don't know,and that could be important.

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

Quote Quoting fortunado30
    View Post
    The seller tricked me, said she had no title because the bike was so old,
    No, you tricked yourself. The first rule of buying ANY motor vehicle is "no title, no buy."

View Post
    I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this situation before?
    Yes, we've heard of this thousands of times - foolish people buying vehicles without titles and not properly identifying the seller.

View Post

Buyer Beware when you buy something on FB Marketplace because it might be stolen.
    DUH!

The plot gets deeper because my apartment manager insisted that I move the moped away from the apartment building and instructed me to park it outside the curb in the red zone. The next morning that same apartment manager showed up with the cops and pointed me out as the person in possession of the stolen vehicle.

In response to the person who said "no title-no buy", I contacted the DMV and they told me lost titles can be recovered as long as I had a valid bill of sale. All I would have to do is pay $60 to re-register a new title.

I don't think I was being stupid. I did not think someone would go to such great lengths just to scam someone for such a small amount of money for a moped/scooter.

View Post
    In response to the person who said "no title-no buy", I contacted the DMV and they told me lost titles can be recovered as long as I had a valid bill of sale. All I would have to do is pay $60 to re-register a new title.
    But your bill of sale wasn't valid. It was phonied up.

The rule is sacrosanct. No title, no buy. Period.

View Post
    I did not think someone would go to such great lengths just to scam someone for such a small amount of money for a moped/scooter.
    And that's how they get you.

There are many scammers out there who would throw you under the bus for the price of their drug of choice.

Yeah so this is a legal forum for people seeking legal advice. Looks like a hangout for so-called "senior members" who get all giggly inside by trying to humiliate OPs who have valid legal questions. Jesus Christ, I guess I deserve to go to jail for being scammed on FB according to you guys! Great forum.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast