Default When Can I Legally Leave Home in Texas at 18 or After I Graduate

Hi I am from Texas and I've been told that I am not allowed to leave home until I graduate even though I turn 18 before I graduate. Is this true? I also have been told that even If I do leave Law enforcement won't look for me because they can't charge me with anything because I will be tried as an adult. Thanks for your help!

Default Re: When Can I Legally Leave Home in Texas at 18 or After I Graduate

Quote Quoting Stonie
    View Post
    Hi I am from Texas and I've been told that I am not allowed to leave home until I graduate even though I turn 18 before I graduate. Is this true? I also have been told that even If I do leave Law enforcement won't look for me because they can't charge me with anything because I will be tried as an adult. Thanks for your help!
    Do you have the means to provide for yourself? Rent (who will co-sign your lease, because no decent ll will rent to a 18 year old)/food/medical/dental/electric/heat/transportation/clothing/personal care items...etc..? If not you may want to re-consider moving till you can support yourself.

But to answer your question...Yes. You can move when you are 18. If you are smart you will stay at home till you graduate.

At age 18 in Texas you are an adult and can leave home if you want; your parents cannot force you to stay at home at that point. On the other hand the day you turn 18 your parents no longer have any obligation to support you.

Quote Quoting Stonie
    View Post
    I've been told that I am not allowed to leave home until I graduate even though I turn 18 before I graduate.
    Been told by whom?

Quote Quoting Stonie
    View Post
    Is this true?
    No. See Tex. Civil Practice & Remedies Code section 129.001.

Quote Quoting Stonie
    View Post
    I also have been told that even If I do leave Law enforcement won't look for me because they can't charge me with anything because I will be tried as an adult.
    Tried as an adult for what? Have you committed or do you contemplate committing a crime or crimes?

1. Sponsored Links