Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Collection for Unpaid Debt of Tolls

Received letter 2nd notice for a $36 toll in another State I've never been to with my company vehicle .letter States my vehicle with my plate number went through a toll and did not pay,which is not the case ,and according to my plates took a picture of plates and sent it to my employer asking for unpaid toll fees from a photo of my work license plates am I liable,do I need to pay even though I never was at this toll bridge? Did someone make a duplicate of me company plates and use them in another state I have never been to? What is my recourse? Thank you this is very scandolis.

Default Re: Collection for Unpaid Debt of Tolls

Quote Quoting robm435
    View Post
    Received letter 2nd notice for a $36 toll in another State I've never been to with my company vehicle .letter States my vehicle with my plate number went through a toll and did not pay,which is not the case ,and according to my plates took a picture of plates and sent it to my employer asking for unpaid toll fees from a photo of my work license plates am I liable,do I need to pay even though I never was at this toll bridge? Did someone make a duplicate of me company plates and use them in another state I have never been to? What is my recourse? Thank you this is very scandolis.
    What state did it occur in and what state are you in?

Is the violation for a time when you were in possession of your company vehicle and you were somewhere else that can be verified?

Has anyone else ever used your company car? Were you the first and only person allowed to use it?

While it is possible someone created a fake set of plates, I'm not sure why they would. It's usually more expedient to just steal some from another vehicle.

Honestly, it's not worth getting hot and bothered over $36. Has it actually gone to collections or are they just threatening? If it has actually gone to collections, it's better for your credit to do a pay for delete to save it. If it hasn't, it's better to just pay it to prevent that and stop stressing.

I'm kind of surprised your employer didn't make you pay it.

Also, this is no very scandalous. Stop being melodramatic.

Quote Quoting robm435
    View Post
    The situation may be different than you think. There are many toll bridges now where you do not stop and pay a toll. Instead a camera take pictures of your license plate and a bill is sent to the registered owner of the vehicle. Therefore the 1st "notice" that you were sent was just the normal bill. The second notice that you received was a normal second notice that you did not pay the original bill.

If you are 100% certain (and so is your boss) that nobody drove that car over that bridge, then you can contact the company by phone, and they can direct you to a website where you can see a picture of the vehicle and its license plate. If you are still certain that it was a mistake on their part, after seeing the picture, then they will instruct you how to dispute the charge.

However, I will warn you that they can put a hold on the registration of the vehicle, or even a lien on the vehicle, if it isn't either paid or straightened out.

Quote Quoting free9man
    View Post
    If it has actually gone to collections, it's better for your credit to do a pay for delete to save it. If it hasn't, it's better to just pay it to prevent that and stop stressing.
    What is the nexus between OP and the employer that would affect his credit?

The vehicle is not registered to OP. It is registered to the company OP works for.

Quote Quoting robm435
    View Post
    What state is dunning you for the tolls? And since there are often multiple toll collecting entities in a state, which one is dunning you?

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    What is the nexus between OP and the employer that would affect his credit?

The vehicle is not registered to OP. It is registered to the company OP works for.
    The first part of OP's post could be read to infer that he personally received the second notice. If it was in fact his company that is receiving it, they would be responsible for paying or fighting. What happens after that depends on any paperwork signed to be issued the company car. Remove the word credit from the second part of my statement and replace it with "job", the advice stands.

It's also possible that like some rental car agencies have been known to do, the company told the toll authority to deal with OP.

From the tone of OP's not entirely clear post, it appears he is wondering if he is liable but whether that is to the toll authority or the employer I cannot say. We would need clarification.

In any future posts, it would be helpful if you used proper capitalization and punctuation and normal English sentence structure.

Quote Quoting robm435
    View Post
    Received letter 2nd notice for a $36 toll in another State I've never been to with my company vehicle .
    Received letter from whom?
    You wrote that this was a "2nd notice." Did you receive a 1st notice? If so, what did you do when you received it?
    What is this other state (and in what state do you live)?
    When you describe this as your "company vehicle," does that mean you are not the owner? If you're not the owner, is your employer the owner? Have you spoken with the appropriate person at your employer about this?

Quote Quoting robm435
    View Post
    and according to my plates took a picture of plates and sent it to my employer asking for unpaid toll fees from a photo of my work license plates
    Huh?

Is there, or is there not, photographic evidence of your car going through the toll station?

Quote Quoting robm435
    View Post
    am I liable,do I need to pay even though I never was at this toll bridge?
    Does the notice you received contain any sort of explanation of "what should I do if I dispute the charge"? If so, you should do what it says. You might also call the person/entity who sent you the notice to see if you can discuss the situation.

Quote Quoting robm435
    View Post
    Received letter 2nd notice for a $36 toll in another State I've never been to with my company vehicle.*
    1. What state sent you the bill/violation?
    2. What state are you from?
    3. Whom received the first bill/violation?

Quote Quoting robm435
    View Post
    .letter States my vehicle with my plate number went through a toll and did not pay,which is not the case ,
    If they sent you a picture of your vehicle, with your current registered license plate going through a toll plaza, please explain how "which is not the case"?

Quote Quoting robm435
    View Post
    and according to my plates took a picture of plates and sent it to my employer asking for unpaid toll fees from a photo of my work license plates am I liable,
    If your employer doesn't pay the bill/violation, then you are 100% liable to pay it.

Quote Quoting robm435
    View Post
    do I need to pay even though I never was at this toll bridge?
    If they sent you a picture of your vehicle, with your current registered license plate going through a toll plaza, explain how you believe that the picture of your employers vehicle and current license plate got into the picture at the toll plaza?

Quote Quoting robm435
    View Post
    Did someone make a duplicate of me company plates and use them in another state I have never been to?
    I find it hard to believe that someone would made a duplicate copy of your license plate and put them on the same exact vehicle that they are registered to.

Quote Quoting robm435
    View Post
    What is my recourse? Thank you this is very scandolis.
    Your recourse would be to find out whom took your employers vehicle and ran the toll plaza and make them pay you the $36. Because the longer you wait, the higher the fine and penalties go up. And it is possible that your employers registration on that vehicle can be suspended and if your employer submits your information to them, your drivers license can be suspended too.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

Quote Quoting Who'sThatGuy
    View Post
    Your recourse would be to find out whom took your employers vehicle and ran the toll plaza and make them pay you the $36. Because the longer you wait, the higher the fine and penalties go up. And it is possible that your employers registration on that vehicle can be suspended and if your employer submits your information to them, your drivers license can be suspended too.
    Not true unless you can back it up with statute or case law. It is a violation that goes against the owner of the vehicle absent due process in a court.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    Not true unless you can back it up with statute or case law. It is a violation that goes against the owner of the vehicle absent due process in a court.
    Since the OP hasn't said what state the toll is from or what state he is in there is really no way to know that.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast