Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Default Re: Use of Our Space Part 2

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    Do you typically roll over when people 'F' with you...or do you just give that advice to others?

The landlord could be operating way outside of their authority by telling tenants to put the toothpaste cap back on or face an eviction.
    I don't roll over, no. I do choose my battles, though.

It's been made clear, over three years, the the LL is within their authority. If the OP doesn't like it the can leave. That they choose not to leave due to their plans is on them. It's a conscious choice. Also, you are the one thing to use preposterous examples to make your case.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Quote Quoting Mark47n
    View Post
    I don't roll over, no. I do choose my battles, though.

It's been made clear, over three years, the the LL is within their authority. If the OP doesn't like it the can leave. That they choose not to leave due to their plans is on them. It's a conscious choice. Also, you are the one thing to use preposterous examples to make your case.
    I don't think its clear at all that the manager (not the landlord) is within her authority. I think its more apparent that the manager is acting like a petty tyrant.

The manager, per the lease, has the right to make monthly inspections for certain issues. Those issues do not appear to include making judgements about how the tenants organize their stuff.

I agree with llworking that the manager appears to be overstepping. However due to the wording of the lease, that might also include whoever employs her--whether a management company or the property owner. According to what JDIAC quoted from the notice, they expect an excessively high degree of cleanliness from their tenants, including “Per your community rules, Section 16, paragraph 3…Keep floors free from clutter, toys, clothes, etc."

Leases sometimes contain language that is not enforceable, because it would violate the tenant’s basic right of possession. The restriction quoted above (assuming no zoning, building, fire or health codes are violated) might be an example because it is subjective, dictates how a room may be used, and discriminates against certain classes.

I know of tenants in my area that have organized and requested assistance from the local tenant’s union, resulting in the firing of several building managers last year. One low income/senior/disabled building has gone from a retaliatory shut down of the community room to a lively social setting where tenants actually enjoy living there. In each case the tenant reps have bypassed the building manager and met instead with higher level management and/or owners.

That she did not come back, on two separate occasions, does invalidate her concerns. She is not concerned enough to re-check the property...so obviously it isn't that big of an issue. I believe she makes these lease violations as tools to use against the renters...like she is building a case against them for an easy way to evict or else as I have read, she uses it so renters cannot move into other properties. And like I said she once made a comment about our freakin' Christmas tree, about how it didn't matter because it would be coming down soon. Really who does that?

My husband gets really angry and says she is not our mother and he feels like she is a mother telling her kid to clean up their room.

When I first read that lease violation about no toys on the floor I was wondering if she is expecting us to levitate my child's walker in some way? Am I supposed to hang it from a string on the ceiling when not in use?

Really, trust me, I will totally own up to yeah, it is unsightly. Colorful plastic toys such as a child's walker, and a multi colored plastic easel, on the ground in the dining area do not look like pages from Good Housekeeping or whatever, but these are items that are used by my children and where else are they to be taken? And this is our life for the next several years...kid gear, toys, boxes of cereals and baby food containers.

Anyway, we are now in contact with a lawyer and we have to scan in the entire lease for him to go over. I hope that we are able to sign a lease and then take some action to get her off our backs. Tenants should be allowed the right to live peacefully in the space that THEY pay money for so long as they are not harming anyone, the property, creating a nuisance, being unsafe and so on. Otherwise if she wants to tell us how to use our space then maybe she should pay some of our rent.

Anyway, we are now in contact with a lawyer and we have to scan in the entire lease for him to go over.
    That will probably be the end of it.

Understand that in your complex, the owners are in a constant crusade to evict the non-compliant, the slow payers, etc.

They have a low cost attorney on retainer to ritually go after anyone they want out of their property as they always know that they can fill a vacancy.

They will be unprepared and unable to deal with your unexpected attorney.

Your attorney, regardless of competency, is probably far better than Their attorney and will be an unpleasant surprise in any proceeding.

You are correct that peaceful tenants should be allowed to live unmolested in their paid for spaces.
    Resistance is not futile; it is voltage divided by current.

I rent a room in a home with one other roommate from a property management company. I moved in on Dec 1st of 2018. Unfortunately when I rented this place I did not give it the once over properly (my fault I know). It turns out we have a horrible roach problem. It is so bad the dishwasher is unusable due the roaches. We also have/had mice that chewed a large hold in the baseboard in the living room. This has left a large open gap from underneath the house into the living room allowing cold air to enter. Someone ran into our fence bending the metal, leaving a large hole. I have asked the landlord to fix the problem via phone, but nothing has been done. The roommate is very resistant to fumigation because she has a dog and is afraid of it getting sick. I have cats. I know that I would have to take them out and let the place air out. This lady is not the cleanest of people. She leaves food on the counters. I am now going to send them a certified letter regarding the issues. Would this situation fall under the uninhabitable living conditions which would allow me to break my lease?

Quote Quoting starrchild
    View Post
    I rent a room in a home with one other roommate from a property management company. I moved in on Dec 1st of 2018. Unfortunately when I rented this place I did not give it the once over properly (my fault I know). It turns out we have a horrible roach problem. It is so bad the dishwasher is unusable due the roaches. We also have/had mice that chewed a large hold in the baseboard in the living room. This has left a large open gap from underneath the house into the living room allowing cold air to enter. Someone ran into our fence bending the metal, leaving a large hole. I have asked the landlord to fix the problem via phone, but nothing has been done. The roommate is very resistant to fumigation because she has a dog and is afraid of it getting sick. I have cats. I know that I would have to take them out and let the place air out. This lady is not the cleanest of people. She leaves food on the counters. I am now going to send them a certified letter regarding the issues. Would this situation fall under the uninhabitable living conditions which would allow me to break my lease?
    You need to start your own thread, as well as answering the question of what state.
    Don't make me quote Monty Python at you.

Quote Quoting starrchild
    View Post
    Does your lease state the tenant is responsible for pest control ? If it does, pest control is your and your room mates responsibility. It is also yours a your room mates responsibility to keep the unit clean.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6