Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Use of Our Space Part 2

I personally think that you need to either stop fretting over her lease violations and stand up to her, or you need to withdraw your paperwork to renew and get out.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    I personally think that you need to either stop fretting over her lease violations and stand up to her, or you need to withdraw your paperwork to renew and get out.
    I agree.

That is fair of you to say, however we really cannot afford to pay more elsewhere while we are trying to get in a position to buy. Also, it is more than "fretting" over it. I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder which is very real. In the future, the monthly inspections are going to cause me a lot of anxiety beforehand and a lot of stress that really isn't necessary if she were a reasonable person. If we were hoarders, if we had pizza boxes and empty soda cans, and animal feces and actual "filth" I would understand this. But all we have is "stuff" which is what any normal family of two young children have (toys, high chair, walker, pack n play, stroller, etc) but we are in a too small space. It is not like when we had our three bedroom house with a two car garage before we even had kids. We had plenty of space then and I would never have my kids living in filth.

When we do renew the lease it is for one year on their end but only monthly for us. I will look for another place that is affordable but I have already looked at padmapper, hotpads, craigslist. Everything is so expensive! Will not pay $1200 for a two bedroom apartment. Cannot do it.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

You stated earlier that you could pay more for rent. That you are staying there to satisfy your want to save for buying a house means and that you have been there for 3 years already says to me that you've been willing to put up with this.

The GAD may work in your favor or it may not, but that only buys you a reasonable accommodation AFTER documentation from a doctor and the like, and it's impossible to say what that looks like. Anxiety triggers could be anything. Additionally, it could trigger a vendetta with your LL.

Largely, what happens here is on you. It doesn't appear there's anything illegal going on, just stressful and inconvenient. Decide whether buying your own home is important enough for you or if getting out of your current situation is more important.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Good golly.

No, we cannot pay more rent which is why we are staying here for now. We have to wait a year to buy a home due to work requirements, and to further improve credit scores. There is a plan in place.

We will be talking to a lawyer and seeing what can be done because two times she has written lease violations and two times she has not came back for followups. This pretty much invalidates her claims and does kind of show she is harassing us, more than a true concern of the property. So I suppose after we sign the new lease we will see what action can take place so she will know she cannot tell tenants where they have to put their belongings if they are not harming property, creating safety issues and so on. She really is overstepping her authority.

Quote Quoting JDIAC
    View Post
    If we were hoarders, if we had pizza boxes and empty soda cans, and animal feces and actual "filth" I would understand this. But all we have is "stuff" which is what any normal family of two young children have (toys, high chair, walker, pack n play, stroller, etc) but we are in a too small space. It is not like when we had our three bedroom house with a two car garage before we even had kids. We had plenty of space then and I would never have my kids living in filth.
    Actually there are 5 levels of hoarding, so your interpretation is too narrow. The ones we see on TV are always level 5, because that gets ratings. Level 1 only involves too much stuff but nothing unsanitary or unsafe. Stuff on the floor or 1 room not used in the normal way are examples of level 1, but as you point out it also could just mean too small a space for your family. However my point involves not so much what you or I think, but rather how the owners and manager perceive the situation, which shows up in their rules and policies.

Quote Quoting searcher99
    View Post
    Actually there are 5 levels of hoarding, so your interpretation is too narrow. The ones we see on TV are always level 5, because that gets ratings. Level 1 only involves too much stuff but nothing unsanitary or unsafe. Stuff on the floor or 1 room not used in the normal way are examples of level 1, but as you point out it also could just mean too small a space for your family. However my point involves not so much what you or I think, but rather how the owners and manager perceive the situation, which shows up in their rules and policies.
    I looked up the levels of hoarding that you are mentioning and I disagree entirely with them. They strongly discuss cleanliness and cleanliness has absolutely nothing to do with hoarding. Someone's home can be totally sanitary and yet the occupant can be a terrible hoarder. Hoarding is holding onto large quantities of things one would never need or use.

At the same time someone's home can be totally filthy, yet the person can be hoarding nothing at all.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Quote Quoting JDIAC
    View Post
    No, we cannot pay more rent which is why we are staying here for now. We have to wait a year to buy a home due to work requirements, and to further improve credit scores. There is a plan in place.

We will be talking to a lawyer and seeing what can be done because two times she has written lease violations and two times she has not came back for followups. This pretty much invalidates her claims and does kind of show she is harassing us, more than a true concern of the property. So I suppose after we sign the new lease we will see what action can take place so she will know she cannot tell tenants where they have to put their belongings if they are not harming property, creating safety issues and so on. She really is overstepping her authority.
    Your LL not following up with reinspections doesn't benefit your case. It means that she's never followed up with sanctions. It doesn't invalidate anything. It doesn't mean that you are not in violation of your lease in the eyes of the LL.

Based on your descriptions your LL is not overstepping.

You are choosing to stay where you are despite the hassle you've endured for three years, with no real consequences beyond a bit of hassle. If you choose to contact an attorney or poke the bear with a stick be prepared for the consequences.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Quote Quoting Mark47n
    View Post
    Your LL not following up with reinspections doesn't benefit your case. It means that she's never followed up with sanctions. It doesn't invalidate anything. It doesn't mean that you are not in violation of your lease in the eyes of the LL.

Based on your descriptions your LL is not overstepping.

You are choosing to stay where you are despite the hassle you've endured for three years, with no real consequences beyond a bit of hassle. If you choose to contact an attorney or poke the bear with a stick be prepared for the consequences.
    Do you typically roll over when people 'F' with you...or do you just give that advice to others?

The landlord could be operating way outside of their authority by telling tenants to put the toothpaste cap back on or face an eviction.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast