Default Grounds for Appeal of SSI While I Worked Part Time

I'm 74 years old, and get $ 736 /mo. from SSetirement and $ 227 from SSI. I did a few part time jobs in the last few years and didn't report it. Now they are saying they overpayed me on the SSI, and want it back, about $ 1300, and deductions from SSI will start in March. I mistakenly thought it was OK to work a bit and not have to report it. Now they are monitoring my bank account as well. I sent them all W-4's too.

I have 30 days to appeal. I am under an extreme financial hardship and currently have a part time job. I also suffer from a fractured vertebrea in my L-4 , and have all year. I need the extra $ just to survive.

What should I do? I am afraid they may cut off my SSI entirely!

Default Re: Grounds for Appeal of SSI While I Worked Part Time

I am afraid they may cut off my SSI entirely!
    No, not entirely.

Read this:

https://www.disabilitysecrets.com/re...m-working-over

But you will have to deal with the deductions.

SSI is based on income and resources. If you received social security retirement only. your income would not matter. You can file for a waiver but do not count on it being granted.

Do you receive food stamps ? Have you reported your income to them ? If not, they will be contacting you in the near future. Have you applied for income based housing ? Look for income based housing for seniors in your area.

from adjusterjack's citation:

https://www.disabilitysecrets.com/re...ow-impairment-

some of your work related costs may be deductible from this clawback amount

You can also request a lower rate of recovery. At $50 a month, it would take about 26 months, all of 2020 and 2021 and into 2022.

Are you reporting your current wages or are you getting overpaid again? If your current SSI check is not reduced by your wages, then you are adding to your overpayment. You can make monthly wage reports to your office, using a smart phone ap or a telephone wage reporting system.

It would be difficult to get this overpayment waived since you didn't report your wages. Would be difficult to find you without fault. But you can ask. Fill out a form SSA 632; keep a copy for yourself. While they are deciding, there should be no overpayment withholding. But it doesn't go away forever.

You could submit receipts for IRWE like a previous poster suggested, but very few working SSI recipients actually have valid IRWE and you need receipts.

What is an IRWE? I have a current PT job,and they are aware of it. Where do I get From SSA 632?

Impairment related work expenses. These are approved expenditures caused by your disability that you need to pay for in order to work. For instance, if you have to have a wheelchair to work, that cost may be paid from SSI even if you're working. Certain other expenses may also be covered like union dues.

There's another exception in addition to IRWE and that is the ABLE program. However, you obviously don't (currently) qualify for that.

Well, they (SSAdmin) are already taking $ 50/mo. off my SSI!

Probably is no reason to file an appeal of waiver now, right?

One of requirements for being granted a wavier is you must Not be responsible for the overpayment. You did not report your income from work.(See link below)

Based in what you said, you receive $736 in SSI from SSA and $277 in Supplemental Income from your state. If you receive SSI only after turning 65. That means you did not work enough to qualify for Social Security Retirement. Some states pay their residents that receive SSI only a state supplement. You may or may not owe your state for the months you received the state supplement but were ineligible. Usually SSA deducts 10% of monthly SSI benefits to recover a overpayment. If you are still working that probably explain why SSA is taking $50 of your monthly SSI for overpayment.. The second link below goes into more detail..

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0502260001

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10098.pdf

1. Sponsored Links