Default Is Neighbor Responsible for Water in Basement from Pushing Snow into My House

My question involves real estate located in the State of: Michigan

My property ends where my neighbors driveway begins. Between the side of my house and his driveway, I have about 5 ft of property. My neighbors has a snow blower, and when he clears his driveway, he points the blower chute towards my property, not his. It's annoying enough that all of the snow from his drive is going into my front yard, but its even worse when he blows it into the side of my house. Snow is piled up from the foundation about 2ft up the side of the house, completely snowing in the egress windows. We do have a local ordinance that basically says a property owner can not move snow from his property onto property that he does not own.

Now, last summer we had a minor issue with water in the basement that was solved by improving downspouts and run off, and we've been doing what we can to keep snow and water from the foundation. If this snow melts and we incur water damage, is my neighbor possibly liable for this? At least partially? Thank you.

Default Re: Is Neighbor Responsible for Water in Basement from Pushing Snow into My House

Have you notified the neighbor and the city that the neighbor is violating the ordinance?

Default Re: Is Neighbor Responsible for Water in Basement from Pushing Snow into My House

And have you told him to stop doing it?

Quote Quoting bluecollaraddict
    View Post
    My question involves real estate located in the State of: Michigan

My property ends where my neighbors driveway begins. Between the side of my house and his driveway, I have about 5 ft of property. My neighbors has a snow blower, and when he clears his driveway, he points the blower chute towards my property, not his. It's annoying enough that all of the snow from his drive is going into my front yard, but its even worse when he blows it into the side of my house. Snow is piled up from the foundation about 2ft up the side of the house, completely snowing in the egress windows. We do have a local ordinance that basically says a property owner can not move snow from his property onto property that he does not own.

Now, last summer we had a minor issue with water in the basement that was solved by improving downspouts and run off, and we've been doing what we can to keep snow and water from the foundation. If this snow melts and we incur water damage, is my neighbor possibly liable for this? At least partially? Thank you.
    Of course, if your neighbor is blowing snow up against your house he would be liable for damages caused by it.

I understand you are between a rock and a hard place. On the one hand, you don't want your neighbor blowing snow up against your house and on the hand, you don't want to create problems with your neighbor.

I would print out a copy of the local ordinance and go speak to the neighbor. That he can blow snow on the grassy front lawn or on the grass in the side yard but not up against the house and that if he continues to do so you will have to report him to the municipality.

The top of the snow blower shut is adjustable to direct the snow down. Teach him how to use it.

Does it matter if Ive told him to stop? The law is the law, isnt it?

Anyway, I haven't talked to him yet... he doesn't speak English--I believe his wife does, but yesterday was the first time it's happened and I haven't had a chance to say anything.

Does my asking him to stop change the way the law would be enforced?

Quote Quoting bluecollaraddict
    View Post
    Does it matter if Ive told him to stop? The law is the law, isnt it?

Anyway, I haven't talked to him yet... he doesn't speak English--I believe his wife does, but yesterday was the first time it's happened and I haven't had a chance to say anything.

Does my asking him to stop change the way the law would be enforced?
    He probably has no idea that there is a law that says he cannot do that. He probably is also clueless that melting snow would end up in your basement if he does that. So, until somebody tells him that its against the law, he won't know. Its not like he would get arrested for it or anything. He might get a ticket if you complained to the right agency.

1. Sponsored Links