Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dropped Charges

A few months ago, someone had called the Sheriff's saying that I assaulted them, when I didn't. Deputies showed up and, after questioning me, said that they didn't have evidence I did anything wrong. However, the victim, who was not in the right mental state, was able to give me a ticket (citizen's arrest). A few days later, when the other party had realized the mistake she made, she called and had charges dropped. My question is, do I still have to go in front of a judge, or will I be immediately directed to another part of the court?
    A few things to note:
    - I was given a ticket (charged) for misdemeanor battery.
    - I live in the state of CA.
    - I have no criminal record of any kind.
    Thank you!

Default Re: Dropped Charges

What do you mean she called and had charges dropped? Did the prosecutor agree to that? Have you spoken to the prosecutor? Until you have something, preferably in writing, from the court saying you no longer have to appear and charges are no longer pending; you should plan to appear in court on the date listed on the ticket.

She called the sheriff who was handling the investigation, and supposedly got in contact with the DA's office. I'm skeptical due to the lack of paperwork. All I know is, I was given a ticket and the deputies had no evidence. After the incident, neither party spoke about it.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

What do you mean that the victim was able to give you a ticket?

Who told you that charges had been filed? Did the sheriff's deputy tell you that?
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

When you called the district attorney to inquire about this, what response did you receive?

Did you actually receive a ticket? If so, can you upload a copy with identifying information redacted?

Quote Quoting Notguiltyec98
    View Post
    She called the sheriff who was handling the investigation, and supposedly got in contact with the DA's office. I'm skeptical due to the lack of paperwork. All I know is, I was given a ticket and the deputies had no evidence. After the incident, neither party spoke about it.
    If you know of a court date it would probably be wisest to show up, just in case.

The sheriff came to me and said they had no evidence. However, he told me that it was a citizen's arrest. Fortunately for me, all they could do was write me a ticket. The deputy did not tell me that. My dad was also wrongly accused. He actually got arrested, but his charges were also dropped and he never appeared before a judge. He also wasn't read his rights by the same deputy. It's all a cluster. I only want to know if I gotta talk to a judge or not

View Post
    The sheriff came to me and said they had no evidence. However, he told me that it was a citizen's arrest. Fortunately for me, all they could do was write me a ticket. The deputy did not tell me that. My dad was also wrongly accused. He actually got arrested, but his charges were also dropped and he never appeared before a judge. He also wasn't read his rights by the same deputy. It's all a cluster. I only want to know if I gotta talk to a judge or not
    If you answer the questions that some of asked you, we might be able to help you with that.

View Post

If you have a summons, ticket or citation from the deputy you need to be at court on the day noted.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

You are not required to be read your rights when you are arrested. You are made aware of your rights prior to interrogation.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast