Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Default Re: What to Do if Someone is Suing You for a Possible Dog Bite and Story is a Lie

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    It isn't up to the dog owner to pay anything, back when the accident happened and especially not now. If his insurance company doesn't want to pay, or even make a reasonable offer, then nothing happens and a lawsuit is filed to persuade them to pay. If the victim wants $300K then they sue for $1M. It is how the insurance companies like to play the game. If the insurance company wants to pay $300K, then they will offer $40K.

If the OP thinks the other attorney is making up lies, wait until the insurance company's attorneys gets involved. They will lie to defend their client just as much...inferring that the victim wanted to get bitten, poked the dog's eyes, grabbed its tail, hates dogs, showed fear, abused the puppies, faked the injury, wanted the injury, likes facial scars, etc.

Also, if the IRS views travel time to and from a doctor or pharmacy as a legitimate expense, surely a lawsuit and jury will too. The insurance co is lucky they didn't hire a nanny and a limousine service.

Perception is everything. If the dog bit a homeless person it wouldn't be a case. But since it bit a child...it is HUGE and that insurance company is going to pay irrespective of the lies that lead up to it. So buckle up OP, you are entering the land of lies...from both sides.
    You are mistaken. If your dog bites someone you are liable for legitimate medical costs whether you pay out of pocket or through your insurance company.

The owner not liable for meals, unless the cost is incurred during a hospital say and this would only apply to the patient.

The owner is not liable for transportation unless it was a part of the medical care received such as an ambulance.

What the IRS considers taxable is not the same as what would be considered in terms of liability.

Your jaundiced view of the legal system and lawyers is not helpful. your view that everyone is a liar says far more about you says far more about you than the system. It's imperfect but until a better one comes along it's the one we have to work within.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Default Re: What to Do if Someone is Suing You for a Possible Dog Bite and Story is a Lie

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    It isn't up to the dog owner to pay anything, back when the accident happened and especially not now. If his insurance company doesn't want to pay, or even make a reasonable offer, then nothing happens and a lawsuit is filed to persuade them to pay. If the victim wants $300K then they sue for $1M. It is how the insurance companies like to play the game. If the insurance company wants to pay $300K, then they will offer $40K.
    In the OP's original post, they stated that they didn't want to notify the insurance company because they didn't want to have any trouble with the dog. So any bills should be paid by the dog owner. Now that a lawsuit is in place, all bills should be forwarded to the insurance company.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

Quote Quoting Mark47n
    View Post
    You are mistaken. If your dog bites someone you are liable for legitimate medical costs.

The owner not liable for meals, unless the cost is incurred during a hospital say and this would only apply to the patient.

The owner is not liable for transportation unless it was a part of the medical care received such as an ambulance.

What the IRS considers taxable is not the same as what would be considered in terms of liability.

Your jaundiced view of the legal system and lawyers is not helpful. your view that everyone is a liar says far more about you says far more about you than the system. It's imperfect but until a better one comes along it's the one we have to work within.
    "Liable" or not, the insurance company will pay just short of whatever they think the jury will award.

"Imperfect" is a gross overstatement. Also, this will not even reach our legal system. This is how we negotiate with insurance companies and how they negotiate with us. It is an 'insurance system'...not a 'legal system.'

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    I don't think it really works like that? Maybe in your world, but not this one.

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    If the OP thinks the other attorney is making up lies, wait until the insurance company's attorneys gets involved. They will lie to defend their client just as much...inferring that the victim wanted to get bitten, poked the dog's eyes, grabbed its tail, hates dogs, showed fear, abused the puppies, faked the injury, wanted the injury, likes facial scars, etc.
    You're dead wrong. No lawyer is going to knowingly lie in a courtroom at anytime.

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    Also, if the IRS views travel time to and from a doctor or pharmacy as a legitimate expense, surely a lawsuit and jury will too. The insurance co is lucky they didn't hire a nanny and a limousine service.
    Most taxpayers aren't able to deduct medical expenses, including travel and transportation costs.

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    Perception is everything. If the dog bit a homeless person it wouldn't be a case. But since it bit a child...it is HUGE and that insurance company is going to pay irrespective of the lies that lead up to it. So buckle up OP, you are entering the land of lies...from both sides.
    Explain why the homeless person wouldn't have a case if he were bit by the dog?

Quote Quoting Who'sThatGuy
    View Post
    I don't think it really works like that? Maybe in your world, but not this one.

You're dead wrong. No lawyer is going to knowingly lie in a courtroom at anytime.

Most taxpayers aren't able to deduct medical expenses, including travel and transportation costs.

Explain why the homeless person wouldn't have a case if he were bit by the dog?
    You are correct, your world, and very likely your experience with our legal system, insurance system and lawyers, is very different than mine.

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    You are correct, your world, and very likely your experience with our legal system, insurance system and lawyers, is very different than mine.
    You still haven't asked my question. Why is it that the homeless person wouldn't have a case if he were bit by the dog, but a child bit by the same dog would?

View Post
    You still haven't asked my question. Why is it that the homeless person wouldn't have a case if he were bit by the dog, but a child bit by the same dog would?
    I'll phrase it differently. A homeless person would get paid ten cents on the dollar for what a cute, young, White, blue eyes little girl would get awarded from a jury.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    I'll phrase it differently. A homeless person would get paid ten cents on the dollar for what a cute, young, White, blue eyes little girl would get awarded from a jury.
    And yet there is still no mention of a trial anywhere. The owner would only be responsible for specific damages unless the injuries are extensive or the owner was negligent and then other damages MAY be awarded.

And there is still no trial on the horizon...except in your own mind.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Quote Quoting Mark47n
    View Post
    And yet there is still no mention of a trial anywhere. The owner would only be responsible for specific damages unless the injuries are extensive or the owner was negligent and then other damages MAY be awarded.

Well in CONNOR's defense, in his own world, CONNOR can make things up, and also bring race into it.

View Post
    Well in CONNOR's defense, in his own world, CONNOR can make things up, and also bring race into it.
    In my world I only speak of things I have actual experience with. I hope you have the same standards when speaking here.

Quote Quoting Mark47n
    View Post

Since you obviously have experience getting an insurance company to cough up six figures, you'd know that the threat of a lawsuit is the bare minimum to get the negotiations started.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast