Angry Rental Vehicle Flooded in Storm and Used Visa Card for Cwd Instead of Rental Company

My question involves insurance law for the state of: New Jersey
    I live in California I rented a vehicle in New Jersey in July 2019. I used my Visa card to cover the Collision Waiver Damage fees for my Rental vehicle. After my vehicle was caught in a flooded road with no signs stating the road floods, where you could not see how flooded it was. The car was towed by the police due to the emergency phone number for the rental company did not know the number for the tow service to respond to have the car towed. Later that night I made a claim with my visa card company who stated we will take care of the CWD as long as you show proof that you rented the vehicle with the visa card. Now the visa card company states it only covers international rentals not domestic rentals. What options do I have, Can I sue the City for not having signs stating that the road floods during rain or sue the visa card company for not telling me the coverage is only good for international rentals, which made me turned down the CWD fees offered by the car rental company??? (over 12,000 damage)

Default Re: Rental Vehicle Flooded in Storm and Used Visa Card for Cwd Instead of Rental Comp

Quote Quoting morid292
    View Post
    My question involves insurance law for the state of: New Jersey
    I live in California I rented a vehicle in New Jersey in July 2019. I used my Visa card to cover the Collision Waiver Damage fees for my Rental vehicle. After my vehicle was caught in a flooded road with no signs stating the road floods, where you could not see how flooded it was. The car was towed by the police due to the emergency phone number for the rental company did not know the number for the tow service to respond to have the car towed. Later that night I made a claim with my visa card company who stated we will take care of the CWD as long as you show proof that you rented the vehicle with the visa card. Now the visa card company states it only covers international rentals not domestic rentals. What options do I have, Can I sue the City for not having signs stating that the road floods during rain or sue the visa card company for not telling me the coverage is only good for international rentals, which made me turned down the CWD fees offered by the car rental company??? (over 12,000 damage)
    Your chances of prevailing in a suit against the city or Visa is practically zero.

Common sense says not to cross a flooded road, ESPECIALLY if you couldn't determine how deep the water was. That would be the reason for not crossing, instead of forging ahead.

And it's not Visa's fault you didn't read the contract you had with them.

Default Re: Rental Vehicle Flooded in Storm and Used Visa Card for Cwd Instead of Rental Comp

Quote Quoting morid292
    View Post
    Now the visa card company states it only covers international rentals not domestic rentals. What options do I have, Can I sue the City for not having signs stating that the road floods during rain or sue the visa card company for not telling me the coverage is only good for international rentals, which made me turned down the CWD fees offered by the car rental company??? (over 12,000 damage)
    You think the credit card issuer should have told you about the limitations of its coverage? You're kidding right? How exactly do you think you should have been told this? Don't you think it was sufficient that the issuer described what it did and didn't cover in the documentation you received when you got the card (which I assume you didn't take the time to read)?

Did you contact your personal auto insurance company to see if rental cars are covered under your policy?

As far as suing, anyone can sue anyone for anything. However, as noted above, you have no valid claim because you didn't properly educate yourself about your credit card's benefits. Nor does any municipality have an obligation to post signs about the possibility of flooding.

Angry Re: Rental Vehicle Flooded in Storm and Used Visa Card for Cwd Instead of Rental Comp

Thank you for your input, but let me explain in further detail. I was told after asking the question does my card cover the Collision waiver and three different people told me the same thing. I was told do not use there insurance your card covers it. If I knew my card didn't cover it. I would have used the rental car insurance and about the road the water was on us before we could stop that's how bad it was. It was also at night and the street was a side street which was not well lit. So I was upset while writing this. I have turned down using my visa card CDW so many times that they would call me saying why you not using our CDW. it's just a sad situation, I just want to make sure it doesn't happen to anyone else. It's not fair for someone who follows the rules to get cheated. I was told the wrong information by three different people and even the claims department who I called twice told me we got you covered. I hope this helps everyone in clearing up why I need some advice. On another note the Tow Company had taken my cell phone. I am from California if I didn't state that!

Then you were driving too fast for conditions.

Visa doesn't provide insurance period. An individual issuer may, but it is incumbent on you to actually read all that stuff they sent you and you threw out. I doubt very much Visa called you and chastised you for taking out rental CDW. They don't know or care (in fact, it's to their advantage that you pay for additional coverage even if they did provide the coverage).

As for your phone, did you call it? What makes you think the towing company has it?

Quote Quoting morid292
    View Post
    I was told after asking the question does my card cover the Collision waiver and three different people told me the same thing. I was told do not use there insurance your card covers it.
    Told by whom? Employees of your credit card issuer? Why would you ask that question of three different people? When were you told this in relation to when you rented this car? Did the persons who told you this make a distinction between international and domestic rentals?

Quote Quoting morid292
    View Post
    Thank you for your input, but let me explain in further detail. I was told after asking the question does my card cover the Collision waiver and three different people told me the same thing. I was told do not use there insurance your card covers it. If I knew my card didn't cover it. I would have used the rental car insurance and about the road the water was on us before we could stop that's how bad it was. It was also at night and the street was a side street which was not well lit. So I was upset while writing this. I have turned down using my visa card CDW so many times that they would call me saying why you not using our CDW. it's just a sad situation, I just want to make sure it doesn't happen to anyone else. It's not fair for someone who follows the rules to get cheated. I was told the wrong information by three different people and even the claims department who I called twice told me we got you covered. I hope this helps everyone in clearing up why I need some advice. On another note the Tow Company had taken my cell phone. I am from California if I didn't state that!
    "I was told" = the most dangerous phrase in the English language.

Have you bothered to read your credit card contract, even now?

The key here is do you own a car with collision insurance on it? If you do, the car is covered. However, if you were on a business trip, and you were conducting business, you are likely not covered.

As for people here calling you stupid, ignore it. It is what some here enjoy doing as a pastime.

1. Sponsored Links