Default Quick Change to Trust

My question involves estate proceedings in the state of: calif

I have a living trust, where I have attached an addendum to the trust, (separate sheet) stating that I leave $5000 to Joe Blow (eg.,). The document is notarized and signed by me. Can I change the doc from $5000 to $2000 without re-notarizing it, by just crossing out the $5000, entering in $2000, and initializing it?

Default Re: Quick Change to Trust

As explained in this article, neither notarization nor witnesses are required for trusts or amendments to trusts in California, but both are a good idea.

In my view, making a further amendment in the way you suggested could increase the likelihood that one or more of the other beneficiaries would challenge it, and a new amendment would be better.

Default Re: Quick Change to Trust

There's no requirement that trusts be notarized at all. All a notarization does is attest that the person who signed it was who they say they are. It doesn't confer any officiality to the document. However, is common to have these notarized to thwart assertions that the signature wasn't that of the grantor.

However, just initialing a strike through is going to be hard to stand up to scrutiny. I'd prepare a formal amendment and actually SIGN it (which is required by the law). Notarization is optional (though again, it's an easy thing to do).

1. Sponsored Links