Default How to Find Lost `+ Stolen Assets

My question involves estate proceedings in the state of: CT

Hello everyone, I am in a bit of a pickle. like the subject suggests I am on the hunt for lost and stolen assets.

my godmothers brother bob passed away and left a very vague trust naming only a few assets. we are certain that there are numerous accounts out there because the majority of money that bob had was from an inheritance from his parents estate dating back to 2000. His parents invested heavily in stocks , bonds , mutual funds and so forth, but bob lived modestly throughout his life , but he had this friend who milked him for his funds. this person forged signatures and manipulated bob for many years. secluded him from people for years. really horrible scene.

bob did leave a trust but it only had a few accounts on there, he failed to mention his other assets. we are thinking this friend cashed these assets or changed the beneficiary.

so my question to you all is...

1, how do I track the money he received from inheritance ? ( I already contacted the probate lawyer who administered the trust and he doesn't have the accounting. since it was so long ago)

2. would requesting tax records help me ? either from the parents or bobs ?

I am hoping that the members of this forum can help lead me and my efforts to specific strategies that can help me not only gain these funds back , but also put who ever is responsible for the theft in jail to make them pay for their actions.

Default Re: How to Find Lost `+ Stolen Assets

A lot can happen to an inheritance in 20 years. Bob may have used the assets to live on, may have lost money in investments, removed accounts from the trust (for whatever reason) or he may have changed beneficiaries on accounts. You are making assumptions or you have hard proof that Bob's friend bilked him of his assets?

Was Bob of sound mind?

You could check the Probate court records from the probate of his parents estate to see if there was an inventory of the estate. However, I don't know if such an inventory is a public record.

Quote Quoting TheGodSon
    View Post

1, how do I track the money he received from inheritance ? ( I already contacted the probate lawyer who administered the trust and he doesn't have the accounting. since it was so long ago)

2. would requesting tax records help me ? either from the parents or bobs ?
    1 - Probate files are public record. You can check for them at the probate courts.

2 - Not sure you have the authority to request somebody else's income tax records. But local property tax is generally public record.

Quote Quoting TheGodSon
    View Post

I am hoping that the members of this forum can help lead me and my efforts to specific strategies that can help me not only gain these funds back , but also put who ever is responsible for the theft in jail to make them pay for their actions.
    Don't let the windmills get in your way.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    1 - Probate files are public record. You can check for them at the probate courts.

2 - Not sure you have the authority to request somebody else's income tax records. But local property tax is generally public record.

Don't let the windmills get in your way.
    An executor of an estate might be able to get tax records. No one else can. However, wage and income transcripts for a few years might be more useful than records of tax returns.

morning everyone, thank you all for your responses.

to address some of your answers....

I am not making assumptions, this is legit fraud. she forged signatures in the past and tried to steal an account, but we are currently taking the friend to court to recover that account.

Im thinking of getting some sort of tax record to show what he " inherited " and then try to follow the money and see if it was in fact cashed, transferred , or changed beneficiary or hopefully still out there

I have went to the probate court and they do not have list of accounting. how ever I did find the parents estate, but all it said was they give everything they own 50/50 to the brother and sister …no mention of specific assets. nor was there any documentation of inventory.

we have found some funds with the state controller's office, so I know there Is more out there. just need to know how to find it ….

Quote Quoting TheGodSon
    View Post
    morning everyone, thank you all for your responses.

to address some of your answers....

I am not making assumptions, this is legit fraud. she forged signatures in the past and tried to steal an account, but we are currently taking the friend to court to recover that account.

Im thinking of getting some sort of tax record to show what he " inherited " and then try to follow the money and see if it was in fact cashed, transferred , or changed beneficiary or hopefully still out there

I have went to the probate court and they do not have list of accounting. how ever I did find the parents estate, but all it said was they give everything they own 50/50 to the brother and sister …no mention of specific assets. nor was there any documentation of inventory.

we have found some funds with the state controller's office, so I know there Is more out there. just need to know how to find it ….
    If the executor of the estate can get wage and income transcripts for the last few years, that would be helpful. You will want to ask for unredacted wage and income transcripts. That will tell you who paid interest, dividend and brokerage income to the deceased, as well as all other types of income.

I personally think you are tilting at windmills. Bob could have just given his money away as gifts and you would have nothing to say about it.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    I personally think you are tilting at windmills. Bob could have just given his money away as gifts and you would have nothing to say about it.
    Bud, its possible that you are right. Its also possible that you are wrong. it's certainly pretty common for people to commit elder financial abuse. Its also certainly pretty common for elders to give gifts that have nothing to do with elder financial abuse. The OP is not wrong for investigating which way it went.

I am defiantly not spinning my wheels. like I mentioned above there has already been forged signatures and other attempts of stolen property.

I know I am on the right track and if I keep following my instincts I will find what I am looking for, rather it be unknown accounts or unknown stolen accounts.

I am going to request the tax transcript for 10 years and see what that brings in.

any other ideas would be helpful.

1. Sponsored Links