Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Can I Stop My Mentally Insane Former Landlord from Renting

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Kentucky

In 2013, I moved into a certain apartment. About a year or so into my tenancy there, it became clear to me that my landlord was seriously mentally disturbed. The first indication was that my toilet had overflowed and flooded my apartment, and instead of cleaning up the mess, he started yelling at me and pressuring me to do it. He would visit me daily to yell at me, he would scream at me over the phone, and even leave messages on my voicemail to clean up the mess. When I reminded him that it was his responsibility to clean it up he just kept screaming at me to do it. He was essentially stalking me.

After this situation was over, he started visiting my apartment just to harass me and physically assault me. Sometimes he would bring a friend of his over to harass me and physically assault me. I called the police on him numerous times but was never able to get the police to come and assist me.

While he was doing these things, it was evident that he was more than just a bad person, but he had certain facial expressions and physical tics that indicated that he was mentally ill. I don't know for sure, but I have a suspicion that he has a life-long history of mental health issues and has possibly been diagnosed by a psychiatrist and prescribed psychiatric medications or even been committed to a mental institution.

It has been years since I moved out of that apartment, so I think it is probably too late to press any direct legal charges against my landlord for his actions. But that is not the purpose of my post. My concern now is that after reflecting on his treatment of me, I feel that it's not a good idea for a clearly mentally ill man to be renting out apartments to people. The relationship between landlord and tenant is inherently for lack of a better term an intimate relationship. This landlord knew where I lived, had a key to my home and could technically enter it anytime he wanted, he knew my phone number, where I worked, my daily schedule, etc. I feel that for a landlord to have so much access and influence over people's personal lives, that landlord, at a bare minimum, ought to be in his right mind. And any landlord who is now in his right mind shouldn't be eligible to be a landlord.

What I am trying to accomplish is to know if there is any laws or regulations against seriously mentally ill people being able to rent apartments. If so, I would like to take action against my former landlord to prohibit him from continuing to rent apartments. If I could somehow prove that he has a history of serious mental illness, could I somehow take away his right to rent apartments? Any advice is appreciated.

Default Re: Can I Stop My Mentally Insane Former Landlord from Renting

Your posting history suggest that you really need to let this go already. Dwelling on this issue is not good for your own mental health.

I would love nothing more than to let this situation go. But unfortunately I have found myself emotionally traumatized by my landlord's abuse, as I think many people would be if they had been through what I've been through. Bringing this man to justice would be helpful in letting this go.

Quote Quoting Keith502
    View Post
    I would love nothing more than to let this situation go. But unfortunately I have found myself emotionally traumatized by my landlord's abuse, as I think many people would be if they had been through what I've been through. Bringing this man to justice would be helpful in letting this go.

If it was so tramatizing, why did you live there for over 4 years?

I had allowed myself to put the things he did in the back of my mind and forget about them. But after living in another place for a while I have a different perspective and my feelings about his treatment of me have resurfaced.

Get yourself into some therapy to find out why you're allowing yourself to obsess over this.

And no, there is no law you can invoke that will stop him from renting apartments.

Quote Quoting Keith502
    View Post
    What I am trying to accomplish is to know if there is any laws or regulations against seriously mentally ill people being able to rent apartments.
    No federal or Kentucky state law prohibits a mentally ill person from being a landlord.

While you may suspect he is (or at least was) mentally ill, unless you are a mental health professional like a psychiatrist you really can't say that with any certainty. He might not be mentally ill at all and instead simply an unpleasant person. For that reason I suggest you be careful not to tell others statements that indicate this man is in fact mentally ill or you may find yourself being sued for defamation.

It's been years since you lived there and there is nothing you can do about this guy now. He's in your past and should stay that way. Forget about him and instead focus on your future. You'll ultimately be happier doing that than continuing to let this guy bother you and bring you down.

The police not responding indicates the situation was not as you perceived it. I agree you need counseling.

I would say the police not responding indicates that the operator I was talking to was a bad operator.

Say what you like. It doesn't change the facts that (1) you need some therapy to find out why you can't stop living in the past; (2) you cannot stop your former landlord from renting and; (c) you have no legal recourse that you can take at this time.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast