Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Can I Stop My Mentally Insane Former Landlord from Renting

Quote Quoting Keith502
    View Post
    I would say the police not responding indicates that the operator I was talking to was a bad operator.
    You said you called the police numerous times. That mean each 911 operator you spoke with was a bad operator. No one is going to believe that. If you were physical assaulted by your landlord and his friend there should be medical records from treatment you received from these assaults. If you did not seek medical treatment for any of these assaults. You need to look up the definition of physical.assault in your state. You also need to seek counseling. It appears you are the one with mental health problems.

That mean each 911 operator you spoke with was a bad operator. No one is going to believe that.
    I called 911 maybe 10 times or so in this situation. Most of the time I kept getting the same operator. And even the other operators I got were equally uncooperative.

If you were physical assaulted by your landlord and his friend there should be medical records from treatment you received from these assaults.
    He and his friend attacked me with the intent to beat me up. Whether that is legally an "assault" or not it was certainly illegal. And the reason I was not injured was because I was simply a better fighter than they were.

Keith:

IT"S TOO LATE. There is nothing you can do about it now.

Get some therapy. Your obsession with this man and the wrongs he did you is not healthy.

Keith,
    You have to realize that about 10% of the people we come across in life are completely insane if you push their buttons. Plugging a toilet and overflowing it is usually the fault of the operator continuing to flush it and watching it continue to overflow. Also, an overflow usually involves poop, something a landlord wouldn't want to deal with. If the landlord hounded you to clean it up, are you saying you let the standing water sit there and refused to clean it yourself? If so, if you gave those details to 911 I can see why they didn't come out.

Lastly, depending on your age, I can see how being touched, pushed or assaulted could be hard to get over. I had it happen to me about a year ago and it is like it happened yesterday. When people say to "just get over it" it usually comes from zero experience.

My advice: Know that 5-10% of people are completely insane. Learn to use your intuition and good judgement to avoid them because you cannot change them.

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    Keith,
    Plugging a toilet and overflowing it is usually the fault of the operator continuing to flush it and watching it continue to overflow. Also, an overflow usually involves poop, something a landlord wouldn't want to deal with. If the landlord hounded you to clean it up, are you saying you let the standing water sit there and refused to clean it yourself? If so, if you gave those details to 911 I can see why they didn't come out.
    I didn't plug the toilet or let it overflow on purpose. The toilet overflowed all by itself and then flooded half my apartment. The toilet once even overflowed by itself while I was at work. The landlord just flat out refused to do anything about it.

Quote Quoting Keith502
    View Post
    I didn't plug the toilet or let it overflow on purpose. The toilet overflowed all by itself and then flooded half my apartment. The toilet once even overflowed by itself while I was at work. The landlord just flat out refused to do anything about it.
    There is only one way a toilet can overflow the rim, that is if something is blocking the drain. Otherwise the water leak would be on the water supply side outside the toilet which would be obvious to locate and would never stop leaking. I doubt that a properly flushing and clear toilet can overflow.

Some income property owners are crazy and cheap, not wanting to fix the simplest repairs. Just as landlords take risks with tenants, tenants take risks with landlords. Too bad you didn't have witnesses or video of him laying hands on you.

Now you know firsthand that there are crazy people out there to avoid at all costs...and you cannot always rely on the long arm of the law to fix things or make them right.

Quote Quoting Keith502
    View Post
    Why should your landlord clean up a mess he did not make ? You sound young and inexperienced at life.

Quote Quoting Mercy&Grace
    View Post
    Why should your landlord clean up a mess he did not make ? You sound young and inexperienced at life.
    Because the landlord owns the property and is responsible for all the damage.

Maybe it is you that is young and inexperienced at owning property.

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    Because the landlord owns the property and is responsible for all the damage.
    The landlord might not be responsible for all the damage that occurs to the unit. That depends a great deal on the applicable state law and the terms of the lease agreement. Under Kentucky law, the landlord must, among other things, "Maintain in good and safe working order and condition all electrical, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilating, air-conditioning, and other facilities and appliances, including elevators, supplied or required to be supplied by him." KRS 383.595(1)(d). But then comes the exception: the landlord and tenant may agree in the lease that the tenant will assume some or all of the landlord's responsibilities under the statute so long as the agreement is made in good faith. KRS 383.595(4). My state has a similar set up, and I ensure in all the leases I draft for clients to specify exactly which things the tenant must do and what the landlord is responsible for, and typically what clients want is for the tenants to fix the small stuff that a tenant could do himself or could have done at a small cost (say under $100 or whatever). The point is that the split of responsibility in states like this ends up being a matter of negotiation between the parties; only if they don't specify what the deal is do they punt back to the statute to sort that out. So in this case, we can't know what the landlord was obligated to do and what the tenant was supposed to do without reading the lease.

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    The landlord might not be responsible for all the damage that occurs to the unit. That depends a great deal on the applicable state law and the terms of the lease agreement. Under Kentucky law, the landlord must, among other things, "Maintain in good and safe working order and condition all electrical, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilating, air-conditioning, and other facilities and appliances, including elevators, supplied or required to be supplied by him." KRS 383.595(1)(d). But then comes the exception: the landlord and tenant may agree in the lease that the tenant will assume some or all of the landlord's responsibilities under the statute so long as the agreement is made in good faith. KRS 383.595(4). My state has a similar set up, and I ensure in all the leases I draft for clients to specify exactly which things the tenant must do and what the landlord is responsible for, and typically what clients want is for the tenants to fix the small stuff that a tenant could do himself or could have done at a small cost (say under $100 or whatever). The point is that the split of responsibility in states like this ends up being a matter of negotiation between the parties; only if they don't specify what the deal is do they punt back to the statute to sort that out. So in this case, we can't know what the landlord was obligated to do and what the tenant was supposed to do without reading the lease.
    I don't care what state your in, if a pipe broke and flooded an apt building, no tenant will ever pay for the tens of thousands in damages. That is where statute meets common sense.

You may be a lawyer but I have been in that business for the last forty years and I can say it just doesn't happen that a tenant pays like that. Not even a hundred buck for a mechanical failure that leads to major damages.

IMO, you are splitting hairs to find a fragment of error in my post.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast