Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: New Car Towed by Apartment Complex

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    They aren't legally allowed to do it here either, but that doesn't stop them. Towing companies are the most predatory out there. However, at the same time, the ones here are usually pretty nice to people who call them because they need a tow due to a breakdown or whatever. Its 200 - 250 if they tow you for parking in the wrong place, it can be 40 -125 if you need a tow yourself.
    It would also be better to say "but they can be stopped."

Sorry, I look at the glass half full. Common sense fills in the rest of the missing information.

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    It would also be better to say "but they can be stopped."

Sorry, I look at the glass half full. Common sense fills in the rest of the missing information.
    Not everyone who comes here is necessarily going to be able to fill in the rest of the information or understand that you didn't mean that it really would be just as easy for them. Plus your change above completely changed the meaning of my sentence and does not go with the first part of my sentence.

However, I could have said " but that doesn't stop some of them", rather than "that doesn't stop them". That would be a closer match to the kind of change I suggested for yours.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Not everyone who comes here is necessarily going to be able to fill in the rest of the information or understand that you didn't mean that it really would be just as easy for them. Plus your change above completely changed the meaning of my sentence and does not go with the first part of my sentence.

However, I could have said " but that doesn't stop some of them", rather than "that doesn't stop them". That would be a closer match to the kind of change I suggested for yours.
    I find it interesting that you are overly critical of my positive attitude (which is my opinion, not a fact) on this but don't mention anything about the defeatists before me. Can you explain why?

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    I find it interesting that you are overly critical of my positive attitude (which is my opinion, not a fact) on this but don't mention anything about the defeatists before me. Can you explain why?
    There are two reasons. The first reason is that they are projecting a more realistic scenario than you are. Yours only works if the towing company and the complex were both breaking the law by using blank, signed authorizations.

The second reason is that you lucked out and got someone who cared about whether or not they got caught breaking the law. It might not have worked out that way. Therefore you cannot make the statement that it "would" be just as easy as it was for you. You can only make the statement that it "could" be just as easy as it was for you.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    There are two reasons. The first reason is that they are projecting a more realistic scenario than you are. Yours only works if the towing company and the complex were both breaking the law by using blank, signed authorizations.

The second reason is that you lucked out and got someone who cared about whether or not they got caught breaking the law. It might not have worked out that way. Therefore you cannot make the statement that it "would" be just as easy as it was for you. You can only make the statement that it "could" be just as easy as it was for you.
    So it is more realistic to you that the landlord is walking the parking lot at all times of the night calling the tow company and signing authorization forms on the spot as they are required to by law? Do you ever apply the term "I smell a rat?"

I have to say that my reality and common sense are very different than yours.

I have read many of your posts and you are a smart guy. Would you really have a hard time busting these guys...or offer to others how to bust them? ...Of course, if they broke the law...which they likely did.

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    So it is more realistic to you that the landlord is walking the parking lot at all times of the night calling the tow company and signing authorization forms on the spot as they are required to by law? Do you ever apply the term "I smell a rat?"

I have to say that my reality and common sense are very different than yours.

I have read many of your posts and you are a smart guy. Would you really have a hard time busting these guys...or offer to others how to bust them? ...Of course, if they broke the law...which they likely did.
    Of course I wouldn't have a hard time busting these guys, and I am sure that the OP wouldn't either. I was also the one who brought up the fact that apartment complexes often give towing companies blank, signed forms.

However, again, telling the OP that it would be as easy for him as it was for you, is not fair to the OP.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Of course I wouldn't have a hard time busting these guys, and I am sure that the OP wouldn't either. I was also the one who brought up the fact that apartment complexes often give towing companies blank, signed forms.

However, again, telling the OP that it would be as easy for him as it was for you, is not fair to the OP.
    Just as it is not fair to the OP to tell him to throw in the towel...but funny you had no objection to those posts.

Also, if you want to pick on words like would and could, how are you "sure" that the OP knew about the law that I brought up that was likely violated?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3