Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: New Car Towed by Apartment Complex

Quote Quoting free9man
    View Post
    Colorado state law does require specific tow authorization from a property owner or their agent for a vehicle on private property. It has to be in writing.

Google is your friend. You should request to see the written authorization for the tow.

If the tow is legit from the standpoint, I'd start looking for a different place to live if they have people wandering around in the middle of the night looking for cars to tow.
    Some apartment complexes will give towing companies a stack of signed, blank authorizations that they can just fill in as they go.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Some apartment complexes will give towing companies a stack of signed, blank authorizations that they can just fill in as they go.
    Which violates the law.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    They aren't legally allowed to do that in Colorado. I know there is a big gap between what is allowed and what happens but if they get caught, they are in trouble.

(B) A towing carrier shall not accept or use blank authorizations pre-signed by the
    property owner

Of course, it violates the law. The problem proving it happened.

Quote Quoting free9man
    View Post
    They aren't legally allowed to do that in Colorado. I know there is a big gap between what is allowed and what happens but if they get caught, they are in trouble.

(B) A towing carrier shall not accept or use blank authorizations pre-signed by the
    property owner
    They aren't legally allowed to do it here either, but that doesn't stop them. Towing companies are the most predatory out there. However, at the same time, the ones here are usually pretty nice to people who call them because they need a tow due to a breakdown or whatever. Its 200 - 250 if they tow you for parking in the wrong place, it can be 40 -125 if you need a tow yourself.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    They aren't legally allowed to do it here either, but that doesn't stop them.
    Which is why I said:

Quote Quoting free9man
    View Post
    I know there is a big gap between what is allowed and what happens but if they get caught, they are in trouble.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    Of course, it violates the law. The problem proving it happened.
    It would not be hard proving what the landlord and tow company did that night.

The real problem is that people are too lazy to stand up for themselves or they have defeatist attitudes.

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    It would not be hard proving what the landlord and tow company did that night.
    How exactly do you figure? If the tow company was given blank, pre-signed authorizations; they aren't going to admit it because they know they can lose their license. The apartment complex isn't going to admit it either because it could put them on the hook. There might be surveillance cameras but how are you going to get access to the footage without suing? They aren't going to give it up voluntarily. You might be able to find an impartial witness but that would require a lot of door knocking. Then you'd have to convince that witness to speak up. They might not want to for fear of angering their landlord. You could set up surveillance yourself to see if you can catch the tow company doing it to someone else but that would require wasting your nights. You would also then have to prove that they did it to you too as opposed to their excuse that they will offer of a rogue driver breaking the rules.

I'm pretty sure one or more of your prior incarnations were told about the value of one's time versus the value of being right. If someone wants to waste a ton of their time to prove they are right, more power to them. But some people don't want to do that. It has nothing to do with not wanting to stand up for themselves or having a defeatist attitude and everything to do with valuing their time more than whatever hill they are looking at dying on.

Quote Quoting free9man
    View Post
    How exactly do you figure? If the tow company was given blank, pre-signed authorizations; they aren't going to admit it because they know they can lose their license. The apartment complex isn't going to admit it either because it could put them on the hook. There might be surveillance cameras but how are you going to get access to the footage without suing? They aren't going to give it up voluntarily. You might be able to find an impartial witness but that would require a lot of door knocking. Then you'd have to convince that witness to speak up. They might not want to for fear of angering their landlord. You could set up surveillance yourself to see if you can catch the tow company doing it to someone else but that would require wasting your nights. You would also then have to prove that they did it to you too as opposed to their excuse that they will offer of a rogue driver breaking the rules.

I'm pretty sure one or more of your prior incarnations were told about the value of one's time versus the value of being right. If someone wants to waste a ton of their time to prove they are right, more power to them. But some people don't want to do that. It has nothing to do with not wanting to stand up for themselves or having a defeatist attitude and everything to do with valuing their time more than whatever hill they are looking at dying on.
    It took me about thirty minutes to find the vehicle code they violated the night they illegally towed my car. I then questioned the store manager that admitted he handed the tow company pre-signed tow authorization forms that night. With those two pieces of evidence they promptly refunded my $280. Was I really 'wasting my time?'

Getting taken advantage of by bad people is often a personal choice that is rationalized for...just as you have done above. The OP's situation would be just as easy.

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    It took me about thirty minutes to find the vehicle code they violated the night they illegally towed my car. I then questioned the store manager that admitted he handed the tow company pre-signed tow authorization forms that night. With those two pieces of evidence they promptly refunded my $280. Was I really 'wasting my time?'

Getting taken advantage of by bad people is often a personal choice that is rationalized for...just as you have done above. The OP's situation would be just as easy.
    It would be better to say "could" rather than the bolded "would". There is not enough information to say that the OP's situation would be just as easy as yours.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast