Default What a Police Officer Can See when They Run My License Plate

My question is concerning the state of Pennsylvania.

Hi, Iím new here and thought this would be the best forum despite the fact that it doesnít directly involve a traffic ticket.

My brother is a new medical marijuana patient and I am considering becoming a caregiver because he doesnít drive and canít get to the store easily. My concern is that when an officer (or one of those automated cruiser mounted plate reader) runs my license plate it will show that Iím a caregiver and open me up to potentially being targeted and pulled over unnecessarily.

Will a police officer be able to see that Iím a caregiver if/when my plate is run?

Thanks so much for your time and to everyone who gives out free advice here in this forum. Youíre really helping a lot of people and should be proud. Thanks again

Default Re: What a Police Officer Can See when They Run My License Plate

I don't really understand your question. Does Pennsylvania's medical marijuana law bestow some special legal status on a "caregiver"? Why would you think anyone other than you and your brother would know that you're his "caregiver"?

Why would being a caregiver show up anywhere that an officer would have access to?

A caregiver is given a card like a med marijuana user so they can pick it up for the user.

https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/pro.../Patients.aspx

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    A caregiver is given a card like a med marijuana user so they can pick it up for the user.

https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/pro.../Patients.aspx
    Ok...

To the OP: I don't know how long this law has been in place, but I have doubts that your caregiver status (which is personal to you and in no way connected with any particular car you might be driving) would be linked to anything that a cop might see when he/she runs the plates. Whether it might be linked to your driver's license is something you'd probably have to ask a cop. Query what difference it makes to you.

If you have to register with the state, and this database is readily accessible to law enforcement, then it is possible that an officer can find out about that status if they run your name. If they run a vehicle registered to you and they or their dispatcher are curious enough to look (and a search can be run without a birthdate or age) then they can find out. I doubt it's a common search - and it might not be readily available at all.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links