Default CPS Investigation of Custodial Parent

My question involves child abuse or neglect in the State of: Texas

So I had a long ugly expensive divorce with my ex with lots of contention over custody. I made accusations of abuse during the divorce and provided evidence, however the judge strongly believed that children belong with the mother. CPS was involved, but dismissed it since it was during the middle of a divorce. I was ordered early on to pay not only my attorney's costs, but hers as well since she didn't work. After over $100k in legal costs to me, the mom received primary residence because I couldn't afford to fight myself anymore. I had no possibility of winning so my attorney told me to cut my losses and try again when I didn't have to pay her attorney.

About a year and a half later, I filed for custody again. There were patterns of self destructive behavior from my daughter as well as abuse from the mother. She got the same attorney to file a response saying it had only been 6 months since the divorce so I wasn't allowed to file. I went to the judge and he echoed what her attorney said. When I pointed out to him that it had in fact been over 18 months, he became very annoyed with me and basically stood by his original decision. He would not look at the photo's I had taken showing abuse or even talk to my daughter.

Fast forward another year and I received a phone call out of the blue today from CPS. They informed me that someone reported my ex for child abuse. (I promise it wasn't me, this was the first I had heard about it). They said that she had been reported for child abuse. They conducted an interview and determined that where she is at is not a good environment for her. She is being physically and verbally abused by multiple family members. She is severely depressed, causing self harm and is actively planning to run away from her mothers house. The investigator told me that they cannot make a recommendation, but she suggested that I act quickly in the best interest of my daughter.

The investigator is mailing me a letter with her findings.

My question is, what should I do now. I don't think that I can do much without the letter, but once I get the letter, do I take it to the judge and show him, or do I need to do something else. I honestly don't think I will have much luck with the judge. When I have met with him in the past, he was pretty adamant that kids belong with their mothers. Is there anything else I can do to protect my daughter in the meantime?

Default Re: CPS Investigation of Custodial Parent

You pick up the phone and call your lawyer.

NOW!!!

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    You pick up the phone and call your lawyer.

NOW!!!
    like button

I cannot afford an attorney. While I do make good money at work, after child support and rent, I am barely scraping by week to week. There are plenty of times I have to choose between me eating or my dog. The attorneys took every penny I had in savings during the divorce. I work for a government agency, so I do have a retirement fund, but I don't have access to it until I retire. I have sold everything I can and my credit is shot from the divorce also. She ran up the credit cards during the divorce and I got stuck with over 30k in bills I couldn't afford to pay.

You can try it on your own but don't be surprised when you screw it up like you did last time.

If I were you I would contact the lawyer you used and explain the situation. Both the child's and yours.

I know someone that received a similar phone call.. The call was a prank and they never received a letter. They called the CPS office and asked to speak to a worker with the name they were given. They were told no one by that name worked in that office. I am not saying your situation is the same. On the other hand, it might be a good idea to wait until you receive the letter and verify it with your local CPS office.

Quote Quoting Mercy&Grace
    View Post
    I know someone that received a similar phone call.. The call was a prank and they never received a letter. They called the CPS office and asked to speak to a worker with the name they were given. They were told no one by that name worked in that office. I am not saying your situation is the same. On the other hand, it might be a good idea to wait until you receive the letter and verify it with your local CPS office.
    I would also think that if CPS made those kinds of findings that they would have removed the child from the home...not called the other parent and told them to take action.

I never thought about it being a prank. They had to many very specific details about it for it to just be a random person. The caller ID came up on my phone and it identified the person with the name they gave me as well as "CPS", so if it was a prank, they went to a lot of effort. The caller had an extremely thick accent and was hard to understand for much of the conversation, but she said that she would not be working at that office much longer. I couldn't understand how much longer but it almost sounded like this is her last week, which is very concerning. My first thought was also, why aren't they taking action? I asked and she said they cannot do anything.
    I am going to call back up to the CPS office this morning and talk to a supervisor to see what else can be done.

Quote Quoting Plutoniumlights
    View Post
    I never thought about it being a prank. They had to many very specific details about it for it to just be a random person. The caller ID came up on my phone and it identified the person with the name they gave me as well as "CPS", so if it was a prank, they went to a lot of effort. The caller had an extremely thick accent and was hard to understand for much of the conversation, but she said that she would not be working at that office much longer. I couldn't understand how much longer but it almost sounded like this is her last week, which is very concerning. My first thought was also, why aren't they taking action? I asked and she said they cannot do anything.
    I am going to call back up to the CPS office this morning and talk to a supervisor to see what else can be done.
    It might not have been a prank. It might have been someone with a grudge against your ex. Someone trying to get your ex in trouble.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    I would also think that if CPS made those kinds of findings that they would have removed the child from the home...not called the other parent and told them to take action.
    It does sound strange. I agree it might be someone with a grudge against the ex.

1. Sponsored Links