Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Exclamation Can I Change My Mind and Keep My Married Name

My question involves a marriage in the state of: Florida

My divorce hearing is tomorrow. On the papers, I originally put that I wanted to go back to my maiden name. Now, I think I donít. My lawyer says that to change the papers, my husband and I will have to resign and notarized everything again and it wonít be done by tomorrow. He also says that the court is NOT going to contact the SSA, IRS, DMV, etc. So, what if I just donít do anything? If I donít take the judgement to anyone to see, can I just keep my name as it is?

Default Re: Can I Change My Mind and Keep My Married Name

Quote Quoting Mermaidgirl
    View Post

My divorce hearing is tomorrow. On the papers, I originally put that I wanted to go back to my maiden name. Now, I think I don’t. My lawyer says that to change the papers, my husband and I will have to resign and notarized everything again and it won’t be done by tomorrow. He also says that the court is NOT going to contact the SSA, IRS, DMV, etc. So, what if I just don’t do anything? If I don’t take the judgement to anyone to see, can I just keep my name as it is?

Doing that may not cause a problem now but down the road, it might. With the increased security that goes along with IDs today, it would be wishful thinking to assume it wouldn't cause a problem down the road.

View Post

My divorce hearing is tomorrow. On the papers, I originally put that I wanted to go back to my maiden name. Now, I think I don’t. My lawyer says that to change the papers, my husband and I will have to resign and notarized everything again and it won’t be done by tomorrow. He also says that the court is NOT going to contact the SSA, IRS, DMV, etc. So, what if I just don’t do anything? If I don’t take the judgement to anyone to see, can I just keep my name as it is?
    What does the paperwork say exactly about your name? Does it say that you "will" or you "must" revert to your maiden name or does it say that you "may" (in other words you can if you want) change to your maiden name?

You are not the first person I have known of that changed their mind after the fact and did not go through with changing back to their maiden name.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    What does the paperwork say exactly about your name? Does it say that you "will" or you "must" revert to your maiden name or does it say that you "may" (in other words you can if you want) change to your maiden name?

You are not the first person I have known of that changed their mind after the fact and did not go through with changing back to their maiden name.
    This is what the consent final judgment says that the judge is supposed to sign:

The Wifeís former name XXX is restored. Hereafter, the Wife shall be known as XXXXXX.

View Post
    This is what the consent final judgment says that the judge is supposed to sign:

The Wife’s former name XXX is restored. Hereafter, the Wife shall be known as XXXXXX.
    If the judge signs off on that then its a court order that you are required to follow. Your lawyer says its not a problem if you don't, and I know of people who changed their minds and had no problems, but as PayrollGuy says we cannot know what technology will be like 50 years from now and whether or not somehow, someday that court order would get linked with the SSN, DMV etc.

It isn't even 50 years that you need to worry about. It could happen at any time.

View Post
    My divorce hearing is tomorrow.
    In the context of any given case there may be many hearings. What is the purpose of the hearing tomorrow?

View Post
    On the papers, I originally put that I wanted to go back to my maiden name. Now, I think I don’t. My lawyer says that to change the papers, my husband and I will have to resign and notarized everything again and it won’t be done by tomorrow.
    What specific "papers" are you talking about, and what does your lawyer say you would have to re-sign ("resign" means something else, FYI)?

View Post
    So, what if I just don’t do anything?
    It's impossible to provide any sort of intelligent response to this without knowing the purpose of the hearing tomorrow and what papers you're talking about.

By the way, why aren't you addressing your questions to your attorney?

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    In the context of any given case there may be many hearings. What is the purpose of the hearing tomorrow
    Based on OP's concern that is what name she will be known as (after the divorce), I would guess that this is the final hearing on the divorce and the court will voir dire the parties as to their agreement with the settlement of divorce agreed to by the parties. The court could change what name she will be known as if the parties agree. Not complicated.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    What specific "papers" are you talking about, and what does your lawyer say you would have to re-sign ("resign" means something else, FYI)?
    If the settlement agreement was signed with OP asking to retain her maiden name and now wants to change that, she may have to sign a new settlement agreement or the court could just place it in the final decree. Again, not complicated.

Tomorrow is the final hearing. The papers we would have to sign would be the consent final judgment, we are having a simplified uncontested dissolution of marriage. I asked my lawyer, he said that he does not know. If I don’t tell anyone, he says the court will not tell anyone. But he can’t say anything other than that.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    In the context of any given case there may be many hearings. What is the purpose of the hearing tomorrow?

It's impossible to provide any sort of intelligent response to this without knowing the purpose of the hearing tomorrow and what papers you're talking about.

By the way, why aren't you addressing your questions to your attorney?
    Tomorrow is the final hearing. The papers we would have to sign would be the consent final judgment, we are having a simplified uncontested dissolution of marriage. I asked my lawyer, he said that he does not know. If I donít tell anyone, he says the court will not tell anyone. But he canít say anything other than that.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    Based on OP's concern that is what name she will be known as (after the divorce), I would guess that this is the final hearing on the divorce and the court will voir dire the parties as to their agreement with the settlement of divorce agreed to by the parties. The court could change what name she will be known as if the parties agree. Not complicated.

If the settlement agreement was signed with OP asking to retain her maiden name and now wants to change that, she may have to sign a new settlement agreement or the court could just place it in the final decree. Again, not complicated.
    Correct, however my lawyer says that both my husband and I would have to sign the papers, and he no longer lives in the same state so it would not get done before the hearing tomorrow.

Your name will not be changed unless you take the court documents to the DMV, SSA, etc and request to have your name changed. The courts, nor any individual do this for you. You have to do it yourself and it is usually time consuming.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast