Arrow Are There Any Legal Mechanisms to Assist Tenants when a Landlord Decides Not to Renew

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Georgia

I have lived without problems in my apartment complex from April 2016 to July 2019. I have been a model tenant, paying rent on time, making no noise, making few maintenance requests. I experienced my first problem in July 2019 when I asked for clarification about a new parcel system that was introduced. The office staff were unresponsive and when I gave my feedback about that in a customer survey, they have not spoken to me since. I have not received my normal renewal letter that we get every year. What are my rights?

A FEW MORE DETAILS: The property management company that owns the apartment complex has a terrible online record, with an F grade with the BBB. This was *not* the original property management company that I signed my initial lease with in 2016. The company was changed without consulting tenants and so I am now in the position of having to negotiate with a non-communicative company which quite frankly looks extremely shady judging by the reviews I have seen.

Default Re: Are There Any Legal Mechanisms to Assist Tenants when a Landlord Decides Not to R

Have you tried going into the office and speaking to someone directly? Have you emailed or called to request information regarding your renewal? You need to notify them that you wish to renew to protect yourself.

Have you checked your lease to see what it says about renewal? If there is an automatic renewal clause or one that states you convert to a month-to-month tenancy if a new lease isn't signed, that may be what the new management company is assuming is going to happen.

It is possible that they do not plan to renew your lease for whatever reason and that is their right so long as it is not in violation of any law.

You can find more information here:

http://www.consumer.ga.gov/uploads/p...dbook_2017.pdf

Default Re: Are There Any Legal Mechanisms to Assist Tenants when a Landlord Decides Not to R

Quote Quoting ClareB
    View Post
    I have not received my normal renewal letter that we get every year.
    5-6 months in advance is the exception, not the rule. Maybe this new company doesn't send renewal notice that far in advance. Or maybe it just waits for the tenant to ask about renewal.

As indicated elsewhere, you have dozens of legal rights, and it would serve no useful purpose to try and create a list of all of them, but there is generally no right to have a lease renewed.

From your posting, you indicate you began renting in April of 2016. Is this correct? If so, why do you believe that your current property management is not going to renew your lease?

As stated, not all PM companies send out this notices as early your previous one did.

Gail

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    As indicated elsewhere, you have dozens of legal rights, and it would serve no useful purpose to try and create a list of all of them, but there is generally no right to have a lease renewed.
    Your instance on directing patrons of this website to another website is a real mystery. Maybe not. Closing in.

There is a difference between "directing" posters to another website, and pointing out that they already have answered the question for the poster elsewhere.

1. Sponsored Links