Default SSDI with Monthlies for Children

Hullo
    I am currently divorcing. My STBX has told me and our kids for years x was working and has been paying all of our bills for about 15 yrs while I’ve been a SAH parent. Discovered last year that in fact x was collecting SSDI this whole time for x and for maximum allowed kids (we have a lot of them) when I opened up a letter in the mail. I believe ex has been committing SSDI fraud and been paying the bills with drug money due to what my PI has discovered. That is besides the point, however.

We recently had a custody investigation concluded and the investigator also has questions about x’s money. He discovered that X has not been evaluated by a doctor over his supposed illness for 15 years and put it in his recommendation regarding the children that x be evaluated because somehow x has not been. Currently x is frantically trying to make deals to avoid the eval- xs last deal involved x only seeing kids two evenings a month in exchange for not having to complete evaluation.

My question is this. We still have not gone to our final court hearing but have had a few granting interim custody. I have full legal and physical for the two eldest. For the remaining children we have shared legal and x receives visitation every other weekend. X is collecting money for the full load of children, and due to xs disability status has only been ordered to pay $85 a month for Child support. Which x has not paid once in the entire year it’s been ordered. Fine. Moving on. The money x collects for the kids though. I was informed by the state that I am entitled to receive the benefits for the children. They said something about contacting SS, handing over the court order, and asking to be made the “representative payee” on behalf of the kids since x is not supporting the children.

Can I do this? Is it a complicated process? Is there anyway that x can prevent me from receiving these benefits for our children? Anyone here have any experience at all with this or knowledge of how SSDI manages cases like this?

Thank you in advance for any input

Default Re: SSDI with Monthlies for Children

Quote Quoting Navigatingtheflight
    View Post
    Hullo
    I am currently divorcing. My STBX has told me and our kids for years x was working and has been paying all of our bills for about 15 yrs while I’ve been a SAH parent. Discovered last year that in fact x was collecting SSDI this whole time for x and for maximum allowed kids (we have a lot of them) when I opened up a letter in the mail. I believe ex has been committing SSDI fraud and been paying the bills with drug money due to what my PI has discovered. That is besides the point, however.

We recently had a custody investigation concluded and the investigator also has questions about x’s money. He discovered that X has not been evaluated by a doctor over his supposed illness for 15 years and put it in his recommendation regarding the children that x be evaluated because somehow x has not been. Currently x is frantically trying to make deals to avoid the eval- xs last deal involved x only seeing kids two evenings a month in exchange for not having to complete evaluation.

My question is this. We still have not gone to our final court hearing but have had a few granting interim custody. I have full legal and physical for the two eldest. For the remaining children we have shared legal and x receives visitation every other weekend. X is collecting money for the full load of children, and due to xs disability status has only been ordered to pay $85 a month for Child support. Which x has not paid once in the entire year it’s been ordered. Fine. Moving on. The money x collects for the kids though. I was informed by the state that I am entitled to receive the benefits for the children. They said something about contacting SS, handing over the court order, and asking to be made the “representative payee” on behalf of the kids since x is not supporting the children.

Can I do this? Is it a complicated process? Is there anyway that x can prevent me from receiving these benefits for our children? Anyone here have any experience at all with this or knowledge of how SSDI manages cases like this?

Thank you in advance for any input
    Yes, you can go to the SSA and apply to be the children's rep payee. Its a fairly simple process as far as bureaucratic things go. No, there is nothing the x can do to stop you or stop you being the children's rep payee since you have primary custody. You should however be aware that its likely much less money than you think it is.

SSDI benefits are not particularly high. Children's benefits are 1/2 of the adult's benefits divided between all of the eligible children. So, if the adult is lucky and is receiving 2k a month they the children's benefits would be maximum 1k a month divided between all of the children, be they 1 child or 10 children.

1. Sponsored Links