Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Unconscious

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Texas

I was in a bad car accident and was unconscious when they took me to the hospital. I woke up 3 days later and had already had 2 surgeries. I was never able to make decisions about my treatment or care and i never signed anything from the hospital. A case worker nor patient advocate never came to talk to me. I repeatedly asked to speak to one or the other and never did talk to anyone about anything having to do with my case. I old everyone possible that I DID NOT have medical insurance.
    It took almost 4 months after the fact to even find out what injuries and surgeries I actually went through.

My question is, am I financially responsible for these treatments?

Default Re: Unconscious

Quote Quoting MBell84
    View Post
    Probably. When you are in an accident and are unconscious and cannot make decisions for yourself someone else has to make those choices for you. In an emergency the medical providers have to do what they can to provide you care, which means providing to you necessary medical care when you can't speak for yourself. And you end up paying for that. It's incidents like this that make worthwhile for even very healthy people to carry decent health insurance. Now, if someone else was at fault in that accident you may sue the at fault person for the cost of the medical care, along with lost income, pain and suffering, etc. That may get you what you need to pay off the bills.

Quote Quoting MBell84
    View Post

Yes, I would think so.

Not having insurance doesn't prevent you from owing for treatment that probably saved your life.

I suggest you contact the hospital and other providers and see if financial assistance is available. Don't wait until the bills go to collection. Then it will be too late to get any discounts.

You might also start a Go Fund me account and seek donations.

And if somebody else was at fault, get a personal injury attorney.

If you had auto insurance, you likely had Medical Payments coverage or PIP that can be used toward your bills.

The last resort, of course, is bankruptcy if appropriate.

So, your suggestion is that they should have left you lying there unconscious for three days until you woke by yourself, rather than provide treatment that may well have been the reason you woke up at all, without your explicit authorization? And that, not having left you to die, they should now be stiffed for the treatment that quite possibly saved your life because you didn't get to approve it first?

No wonder health care is in such bad shape in this country.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post

We really need a like button here.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    We really need a like button here.
    Dr. Keith Smith, founder and operator of the 32,000 sqft Surgical Center of Oklahoma, could enlighten both of you about the corrupt relationship between health insurance companies and healthcare providers. But who really cares as long as employers and the Fed are footing most of the bill?

Yes, we've heard about your idol, Dr. Smith, under your previous identities.

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    Dr. Keith Smith, founder and operator of the 32,000 sqft Surgical Center of Oklahoma, could enlighten both of you about the corrupt relationship between health insurance companies and healthcare providers. But who really cares as long as employers and the Fed are footing most of the bill?
    Heya Chuckles! Back for round 5, or is it 6?

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Yes, we've heard about your idol, Dr. Smith, under your previous identities.
    Just as I am sure you have heard about Jesus, Princess Diana, Johnny Cochran and Marsha Clark...none whom have left much of an impression either.

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    Just as I am sure you have heard about Jesus, Princess Diana, Johnny Cochran and Marsha Clark...none whom have left much of an impression either.
    Well, considering that Jesus apparently currently has over a 1 billion followers, I'd say he made quite an impression on the world.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast