Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Unconscious

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    Well, considering that Jesus apparently currently has over a 1 billion followers, I'd say he made quite an impression on the world.
    Yes, Jesus has made an impression on billions, but with posts like #4, it is apparent His message of unconditional love has not made an impression on everyone. Unwarranted ribbing and accusing of a person who is in such medical and financial despair is the last thing Jesus or Princess Diana would approve of. That is my point...He has not touched everyone.

I can understand your disdain with the question, but what if I had a medical DNR or a religious belief that was not respected because i was not able to make my own decisions or communicate because they kept me under such heavy medications.

Quote Quoting MBell84
    View Post
    I can understand your disdain with the question, but what if I had a medical DNR or a religious belief that was not respected because i was not able to make my own decisions or communicate because they kept me under such heavy medications.
    You would be alive. Nothing more would come of it because they were unable to get the information out of you. They would make note of such in your file once you are able to tell them so there would be no issues should you come in to that hospital, or one in it's group that would have access to your file, unconscious again. Well unless you came in as a John Doe. If it was a religious issue, I'm sure your deity of choice would give you a mulligan since you had no way of communicating the belief.

So. DID you have a religious belief that was violated? DID you have a medical DNR?

Those are real questions. I really want to know.

Quote Quoting MBell84
    View Post
    I have to apologize for some here who can't resist ribbing those who are just looking for legal answers.

As to your question, medical professionals are empowered to make medical decisions when a seriously injured or incapacitated person appears to require medical aid. For instance, when there is an auto accident and only one person is injured, the fire dept and EMT's have full authority over the police at that scene. They call the shots from there on. If a person requires medical transport and that person refuses it, the EMT's can transport that person anyway. If you are unconscious as in your case, a medical provider will do whatever is necessary to keep you alive.

It is a shame now that you are left with those highly inflated hospital bills, but once the hospital realizes you do not have medical insurance to gouge they will likely reduce it to a more reasonable rate. But look at the bright side, you may have died without their intervention. ...And since you are still alive, it was not your time to die.

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    I have to apologize for some here who can't resist ribbing those who are just looking for legal answers.
    The OP received that answer (actually a better one) within 15 minutes of making the OP.

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post

As to your question, medical professionals are empowered to make medical decisions when a seriously injured or incapacitated person appears to require medical aid. For instance, when there is an auto accident and only one person is injured, the fire dept and EMT's have full authority over the police at that scene. They call the shots from there on. If a person requires medical transport and that person refuses it, the EMT's can transport that person anyway. If you are unconscious as in your case, a medical provider will do whatever is necessary to keep you alive.

It is a shame now that you are left with those highly inflated hospital bills, but once the hospital realizes you do not have medical insurance to gouge they will likely reduce it to a more reasonable rate. But look at the bright side, you may have died without their intervention. ...And since you are still alive, it was not your time to die.

you’re wrong but that isn’t unusual.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

FWIW, in Texas, after completing the requisite paperwork, you can obtain a standard DNR bracelet which will protect your wishes from the sometimes overzealous hands of EMS. Also, if your alert and competent you can decline transportation. EMS has no power to dictate anything to you, the police, your wife or anyone else. They have no overriding power over anyone, their job is to patch you up well enough to survive the ride to the ER.

As to your initial complaint about care being provided without your consent when you were unconscious: yes, they can do what they feel is necessary and you're stuck with the cost of those decisions. OF course, if you'd died you'd be off the hook.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

And of course Connor and his previous three identities, all of which have been banned by the moderators of the site, is never less than courteous to anyone regardless of the situation.

Uh-huh. Tell me another one.

While I will acknowledge that perhaps my first post could have been phrased more tactfully, the OP himself acknowledged the relevance. And I'd like to know what was wrong with the second post?

Quote Quoting MBell84
    View Post
    Unless the medical personnel had prior knowledge of your wishes (e.g. DNR, living will, etc) then the outcome will be same: they'll provide the necessary emergency care and you'll have to foot the bill for it. A medic alert bracelet or something like that might help in that regard.

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    If a person requires medical transport and that person refuses it, the EMT's can transport that person anyway.
    If the patient is alert and mentally competent he has the right to refuse care and the EMTs cannot force him/her to go. Should they do that, not only would the patient have a good defense against paying for it, he may also have a good claim against the EMTs for damages (if any can be proven).

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    It may well be that the OP can negotiate something on these medical bills. Certainly can't hurt to try. And I agree that while the medical bills suck, one ought to be grateful that the care may have prevented serious permanent disability or death.

Quote Quoting Mark47n
    View Post
    OF course, if you'd died you'd be off the hook.
    But your estate would not. So to the extent you leave this world with assets behind the medical providers may take what's there to satisfy your medical bills.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast