Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default In Oregon Can Police Stop You for Suspicion of Expired Insurance

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Oregon
    I was stopped for suspicion of expired insurance. I told officer it was valid and could prove it on my phone. While I was going to my insurance app on my phone, the officer took my license and registration back to his car
    Upon his returning to me I showed him my insurance proof and he said it was ok. However my license was suspended. I heard that Oregon DMV says police can't stop someone for insurance information recieved from their database because it is often incorrect. Can I claim a invalid stop and get the driving while suspended ticket dismissed?

Default Re: In Oregon Can Police Stop You for Suspicion of Expired Insurance

Take a hard copy of your certificate of insurance and go court or the DMV and prove you had valid insurance at the time of the stop to get the suspension dismissed.

Can I claim a invalid stop and get the driving while suspended ticket dismissed
    However, were you on the suspended list prior to being stopped for expired insurance?

Quote Quoting mbcaps
    View Post
    Can I claim a invalid stop and get the driving while suspended ticket dismissed?
    Your question appeared on another law site where a lawyer advised that officers can run random plates and can pull over drivers who are non-compliant.

You also admitted that you were driving on a suspended license.

I suggest you consult a traffic attorney and review your options.

The insurers are required to report to the DMV that the insurance has been canceled. Sometimes the notice coverage has been replaced lags and the plates being run indicate that the car is not insured. This is more than enough articulable suspicion of a violation to stop you.

The fact that you were not guilty of the suspicion doesn't invalidate the fact that they discovered you were committing another crime subsequent to the stop.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Your question appeared on another law site where a lawyer advised that officers can run random plates and can pull over drivers who are non-compliant.

You also admitted that you were driving on a suspended license.

I suggest you consult a traffic attorney and review your options.
    Yes, the police can run plates and pull you over if the plate belongs on another car or if your registration is expired, but that is not what the OP asked. He said Oregon police cannot pull a car over for insurance data off their patrol car computer. If done so, I'd say that any evidence (suspended license) after that illegal stop would be inadmissible.

In my State the DMV allows a person to pay his insurance on say the 15th and the insurance co reports that confirmation to the DMV. That is all in compliance with the system the DMV approves of. The problem is that the police data base takes time to update. The motorist is legally insured on the 15th per the DMV guidelines yet the police have outdated info on their dash computer, hence they should not be pulling cars over for possibly outdated info. In my State i've been told by the DMV that the police cannot pull a car over for expired tags until it is 30 days out of date...for that same reason.

It would seen you could handle this impropriety by yourself but sometimes judges only respect attorneys and will convict an individual regardless.

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    He said Oregon police cannot pull a car over for insurance data off their patrol car computer.
    OP stated he heard they can't. I believe I found where OP posted about this on another forum and he got that response from someone without even the facts he provided here. I highly doubt the officer looked at OP's car and said "I bet that's not insured". If the officer's computer reported that the insurance was not current, that is sufficient for a stop. That it was out of date is unfortunate.

I cannot find any statute that states that officers in Oregon cannot pull over based on a suspicion of being uninsured either.

Quote Quoting free9man
    View Post
    OP stated he heard they can't. I believe I found where OP posted about this on another forum and he got that response from someone without even the facts he provided here. I highly doubt the officer looked at OP's car and said "I bet that's not insured". If the officer's computer reported that the insurance was not current, that is sufficient probable cause for a stop. If that is what happened: OP was not pulled over on suspicion of being uninsured. That it was out of date is unfortunate.

I cannot find any statute that states that officers in Oregon cannot pull over based on a suspicion of being uninsured either.
    I was told by a supervisor at my DMV that officers cannot pull a car over for expired tags until 30 out of date due to the same reason of outdated info on their dash computer. She also said it is in black and white. To assume the same allowance is applied to insurance info would only make sense.

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    I was told by a supervisor at my DMV that officers cannot pull a car over for expired tags until 30 out of date due to the same reason of outdated info on their dash computer. She also said it is in black and white. To assume the same allowance is applied to insurance info would only make sense.
    OP never stated how long they had been uninsured before the issue was corrected. Unless OP can quote a law that says what is being claimed, it is meaningless.

Unless you are in Oregon, what your DMV supervisor says has no weight in Oregon. I'm also be curious to see if the DMV person could point to a law for that. It might be custom and is probably the right way to do things but that doesn't mean there is actual legal weight to it.

In some states, it's a violation not to display your current tag so even if you have it and haven't gotten it on yet; you are in trouble. No need to wait 30 days for that.

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post

The supervisor was wrong. It is a violation on January 1 at 12:00: 01 a.m if tags that expire on let's say 12/31 on the street.

I'd not take legal advice from anyone at DMV anymore if I were you.

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    Your tags weren't expired, they were REVOKED for lapsed insurance.

And I don't believe what you were told. There's no grace period in the Oregon statutes.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast