Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: In Oregon Can Police Stop You for Suspicion of Expired Insurance

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    The supervisor was wrong. It is a violation on January 1 at 12:00: 01 a.m if tags that expire on let's say 12/31 on the street.
    Then why doesn't the DMV consider your registration late when the envelope is post marked 12/31 and they do not receive the envelope until 1/5? Same with mailing your taxes. The postmark determines what is late, not when they receive it. Same with paying online. Paying 12/31 is legitimate, irrespective of them not being able to get your tags to you. That is their system, not ours.

Delayed mail is a flaw in their system which they must allowed for.

No, it doesn't work that way. But anyhow, it doesn't require you actually BE GUILTY of the statute to justify the stop, only an articulable, reasonable suspicion of a violation.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Your tags weren't expired, they were REVOKED for lapsed insurance.

And I don't believe what you were told. There's no grace period in the Oregon statutes.
    Psst...that wasn't OP.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    No, it doesn't work that way. But anyhow, it doesn't require you actually BE GUILTY of the statute to justify the stop, only an articulable, reasonable suspicion of a violation.
    It doesn't work what way? If they cannot get your tags to you, or update their insurance system on the spot, that is their problem.

The reason a car has no tags in this case is caused by them, no us. So if a cop intentionally breaks your taillight can he legitimately pull you over for it down the street? I don't think so.

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    Then why doesn't the DMV consider your registration late when the envelope is post marked 12/31 and they do not receive the envelope until 1/5? Same with mailing your taxes. The postmark determines what is late, not when they receive it. Same with paying online. Paying 12/31 is legitimate, irrespective of them not being able to get your tags to you. That is their system, not ours.

Delayed mail is a flaw in their system which they must allowed for.

The DMV is not a law enforcement agency.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    The DMV is not a law enforcement agency.
    True, but they determine if registration postmarked on 12/31 and received on 1/6 is late or not. If they accept it and cannot get your tags to you by 12/31 12:01am it is their problem they must allow for, not ours. We are not expected to park our cars or be subject to being detained or subject to search and seizure until they get around to mailing our tags out.

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    True, but they determine if registration postmarked on 12/31 and received on 1/6 is late or not. If they accept it and cannot get your tags to you by 12/31 12:01am it is their problem they must allow for, not ours.
    They cannot tell law enforcement agencies not to enforce the law under given circumstances, that is the duty of the legislature. Even if the DMV doesn't consider it late for purposes of late fees, suspension, etc...; law enforcement is not obligated to give a similar grace period absent a statute requiring it.

Given it is the owner's responsibility to get the tag before the required date, the blame lies with the owner for not getting it done in a timely manner.

Would it be great if every officer gave leniency in these cases, for a day or two? Sure. Many probably would. Some won't unless told to.

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    It doesn't work what way? If they cannot get your tags to you, or update their insurance system on the spot, that is their problem.

The reason a car has no tags in this case is caused by them, no us. So if a cop intentionally breaks your taillight can he legitimately pull you over for it down the street? I don't think so.
    no, it’s the drivers problem. In many states, even if you have a valid registration and (where applicable) the new sticker in your car, you are in violation of the law if the sticker is not properly placed upon the plate. It also isn’t the states problem that you couldn’t act earlier to obtain your registration or insurance so you have proof of a current registration when you are required to display it.

if a cop intentionally breaks your taillight and you drive after that, yes, a stop would be legitimate. The cop would likely be subject to civil and or criminal prosecution but that doesn’t negate the fact you were driving the car with defective equipment.

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    True, but they determine if registration postmarked on 12/31 and received on 1/6 is late or not. If they accept it and cannot get your tags to you by 12/31 12:01am it is their problem they must allow for, not ours. We are not expected to park our cars or be subject to being detained or subject to search and seizure until they get around to mailing our tags out.
    whether it is late for purposes of late fees has nothing to do with the legal requirement that one must have and display a,current registration when driving a car. In other words: if you don’t have proof of current registration in hand, you shouldn’t be driving the car so yes, you are expected to park your car until you are in full compliance with the law. Doing so risks being stopped for not displaying a current valid registration. Whether the cop shows leniency is up to him.

Ok let me add to my post. The officer clearly stated the reason he had stopped me was for suspicion of expired insurance. First of all my insurance has been paid every month automatically from my bank account since March of 2019 and hasn't lapsed or expired. Second: The car I was driving was just recently purchased with title and registration put in my name less than 2 months ago. My insurance policy automatically covers any newly acquired vehicle even prior to my telling them to change vehicle on policy. So if the officer ran plates no only would have found nothing on this vehicle, he should have seen my license suspension at the same time and pulled me over for driving on suspended license rather than a secondary suspicion of expired insurance violation. I believe a discovery should tell exactly what the officer did prior to and during the stop. Like I originally said, he stopped me for suspicion of expired insurance which was totally wrong and never said anything about my license being suspended until after he took my license and registration back to his car and came back to me and then told me my license was suspended.

Are you saying that you didn’t actually have this car on your policy other than through a courtesy clause within your policy?

And maybe he did see the suspension and simply didn’t mention it. In fact, that may have been the actual reason he stopped you but given the possibility of fighting such a stop, he felt it was easier to use the insurance matter as the basis for the stop

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast