Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Late Car Rental

I dropped off my rental car 2 days late. The owner of the rental issued a warrant for my arrest the day before I dropped it off. Is there any way I can fight this?

Default Re: Late Car Rental

The rental car owner does not have the ability to issue a warrant. He can report a crime he believes has happened.

If a warrant has actually been issued I suggest you hire a lawyer. The way you "fight" this is through the criminal justice system.

Did you communicate to the rental agency that you would need to return it late? If so, what was their response?

Quote Quoting Lucasfilm198
    View Post
    I dropped off my rental car 2 days late. The owner of the rental issued a warrant for my arrest the day before I dropped it off. Is there any way I can fight this?
    Were you charged the fees for the extra days? Did you avoid communicating with the rental car company. I have kept rental cars longer than I originally indicated many times without problems at all, but I communicated with them and let them know I would be keeping the car longer.

Communicating with the rental agency is probably not necessary because there would be language in the rental contract that would outline what the actions would be if the car was returned late. Being charged with grand theft auto was probably not in the contract.

If I loaned a car to a friend and he kept it a few extra days I hardly think that the cops would see that as GTA. With the rental agency, they even have less to stand on because extra days would be outlined in the contract. It is likely that the rental agency and the cops were operating outside the contract.

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    Communicating with the rental agency is probably not necessary because there would be language in the rental contract that would outline what the actions would be if the car was returned late. Being charged with grand theft auto was probably not in the contract.
    If you communicate with the agency, they will know you still need the car and will not report it stolen. It's not that hard to understand. Rental agencies absolutely can and will report their cars stolen if not returned and they are not able to communicate with the person who rented it. That doesn't have to be in the contract. It's common sense.

Quote Quoting free9man
    View Post
    If you communicate with the agency, they will know you still need the car and will not report it stolen. It's not that hard to understand. Rental agencies absolutely can and will report their cars stolen if not returned and they are not able to communicate with the person who rented it. That doesn't have to be in the contract. It's common sense.
    Written and signed contracts supersede common sense and public opinion. You should know that, you're posting on a law forum.

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    Written and signed contracts supersede common sense and public opinion. You should know that, you're posting on a law forum.
    They do not have to have in the contract that they will report it stolen if you don't return it. IF, and it's a big if because rental car agencies deal with this frequently enough, there is something in the contract about how they handle failure to return the car; that is the path they should follow. They aren't going to completely shut themselves out of the option to report it stolen though.

Personally, I think reporting it after it's only 2 days late is a bit hasty. They might have a history of issues with people not returning cars so they chose to report it quickly.

Heck, we don't even know if OP is in the US.

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    That's ridiculous. While the rental agreement may not say anything about GTA it would likely mention late fees and may even say what you need to do to extend your rental.

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    If I loaned a car to a friend and he kept it a few extra days I hardly think that the cops would see that as GTA. With the rental agency, they even have less to stand on because extra days would be outlined in the contract. It is likely that the rental agency and the cops were operating outside the contract.
    We don't even know that the cops are involved at this point how they are operating.

View Post
    The owner of the rental issued a warrant for my arrest
    No it didn't. Only a judge or other judicial officer can issue a warrant. I assume what happened is that the owner reported the matter to the police and that the police obtained a warrant.

View Post
    Is there any way I can fight this?
    Fight what? For starters, how do you know an arrest warrant was issued? Have criminal charges been filed against you? At any point after you learned about the warrant, did you ask the owner of the car to report to the police that the car was returned? If not, why not?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast