Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Late Car Rental

I rented from a private owner through the app called Hyrecar. I was using it for Uber. I live in Savannah and the person I rented from lives in Augusta. We agreed for me to drop it off on a Thursday. Initially I could've dropped it off that day but a family member of mine that was going to follow me had got a new job and had to go to orientation that same day. But I didn't tell the owner I couldn't make it. I was little intimidated by the owner because he/she was trying to pressure me to drop it off that day. Sunday morning another one of my family members agreed to follow to the owner's house so I could drop it off. I texted the owner of the car and told him/she that I was sorry for being late but I didn't have a way back home but I'm on the way to your house now to drop it off. After I dropped it off the texted me and told me to turn myself in for stealing it.

As of today I have been arrested for this and I'm waiting to go to court for this issue

Then you need a criminal defense attorney.

The officers told me the owner was supposed to come back to the police department and report that he got his car

You don't need a lawyer yet. You should wait to see if the prosecutor is going to drop the charges. He likely will because it is hardly Grand Theft Auto.

You had permission to drive the car. You just need to pay for the extra days.

Quote Quoting Lucasfilm198
    View Post
    The officers told me the owner was supposed to come back to the police department and report that he got his car
    What the owner did or didn't do at this point is not really a concern. You need aa criminal defense attorney and you need to print out the Hyrecar agreement and every piece of documentation from the rental.

BTW... I'm willing to bet the Hyrecar agreement doesn't include using it as an UBER.

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post
    You don't need a lawyer yet. You should wait to see if the prosecutor is going to drop the charges. He likely will because it is hardly Grand Theft Auto.

You, sir, are an idiot. When you are charged with a crime you need a lawyer. I don't care if you yourself are a lawyer you still need a lawyer.

In many southern states, I am not sure about GA, an individual can appear at the magistrates office and swear out an arrest warrant. It would then be prosecuted by the states attorney. So a police investigation may not have been involved.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    BTW... I'm willing to bet the Hyrecar agreement doesn't include using it as an UBER.
    I actually looked it up and that's their business model. Rent a car to do Uber or Lyft. Seems like a money-losing proposition for the renter.

Quote Quoting doucar
    View Post
    In many southern states, I am not sure about GA, an individual can appear at the magistrates office and swear out an arrest warrant. It would then be prosecuted by the states attorney. So a police investigation may not have been involved.
    That is actually the case in Georgia. Had to do it several times when I was working loss prevention.

Oh look they have a way to extend on the app.

Step 4: Extending your Rental Time or Returning your Car
    You’ve got two options when your rental time is up – either extend your rental or return it.

Extending the rental is a piece of cake.

Just go to your driver dashboard on the HyreCar Driver App or website and find your current rental. Click the “extend” button. You can choose a daily, weekly, or monthly rental extension. It’s totally up to you. Your insurance gets automatically extended for the amount of time you select, so you can concentrate on making money!
    If don’t want to renew and return the car, you’ll need to arrange a drop off time with the car’s owner. The owner will do a walk-around inspection of the vehicle. If everything looks OK, they’ll click “confirm drop-off” on the HyreCar app or on our website.

NOTE: Make sure the owner does this or else you might be charged unnecessary late fees.

Quote Quoting CONNOR99
    View Post

It is absurd that you think you can intelligently predict what an unknown prosecutor in an unknown county in Georgia "likely will" do. While it might not be grand theft auto, it might very well be some other crime.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    It is absurd that you think you can intelligently predict what an unknown prosecutor in an unknown county in Georgia "likely will" do. While it might not be grand theft auto, it might very well be some other crime.
    What other crime?

This is a private business deal gone bad. It's not a criminal act.

BTW - Isn't it against forum rules to call people names?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast