Default International Travel with Misdemeanor Warrant

My question involves criminal law for the state of: NEW JERSEY

I have a misdemeanor warrant local to only New Jersey and extradition does not apply. I currently live in Ohio. I want to travel internationally and already had a passport before I had the warrant. Will I have any problems traveling internationally to Europe or anywhere else?; and will I have any issues getting back into the USA (I will not be leaving or returning through New Jersey or even nearby)? When I arrive at other countries will I encounter any problems there either (arriving or leaving)?
    If I want to get a visa at some point, will I have any issues with that process?
    Additionally, I would like to at some point apply for dual citizenship in France, Germany, or Canada. Can I do that with my misdemeanor warrant in New Jersey?
    It is for the most minor class of misdemeanors and no extradition.
    And lastly, what about domestic flights as long as I stay away from New Jersey?
    Thank you for your help!

Default Re: International Travel with Misdemeanor Warrant

Quote Quoting FreedomGirl86
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: NEW JERSEY

I have a misdemeanor warrant local to only New Jersey and extradition does not apply. I currently live in Ohio. I want to travel internationally and already had a passport before I had the warrant. Will I have any problems traveling internationally to Europe or anywhere else?; and will I have any issues getting back into the USA (I will not be leaving or returning through New Jersey or even nearby)? When I arrive at other countries will I encounter any problems there either (arriving or leaving)?
    If I want to get a visa at some point, will I have any issues with that process?
    Additionally, I would like to at some point apply for dual citizenship in France, Germany, or Canada. Can I do that with my misdemeanor warrant in New Jersey?
    It is for the most minor class of misdemeanors and no extradition.
    And lastly, what about domestic flights as long as I stay away from New Jersey?
    Thank you for your help!
    Why don't you just take care of the warrant and end matters that way? Yes, the warrant could effect all of those things.

If you have a warrant, you risk being detained at the border regardless of WHAT they say about extradition. You're particularly at risk if you end up in any of the NY/NJ port authority airports (Newark, JFK, LGA).
    Travel to certain countries when you indicate you have pending criminal charges will result in a denial of admission. If you lie about it and are caught, you may be in for even additional problems.
    By the way, I believe if you don't already have a passport, a pending charge may block issuance.

What makes you think that any of these countries is going to admit you as a long term resident, let alone allow you citizenship? Canada has pretty strict requirements (and yes, pending criminal charges will even keep you from visiting, let alone citizenship).

As LL points out, get a lawyer or whatever and resolve the silly warrant. You know you don't get credit for being a fugitive.

Will you have problems? We have no way of knowing.

Might you have problems? Yes.

1. Sponsored Links