Default Esta

I am a naturalized US citizen.
    My 48-year old divorced English son visited on an ESTA 4 times this year staying between 2 and 3 months as I am in poor health
    His last visit was told he could no longer travel on ESTA - he needed to apply for a Visa Waiver and file for permanent residency
    Visa Waiver was denied
    My health has now improved so if I file I-130 would he be able to travel to the US for occasional visits

Default Re: Esta

You were told something wrong. Your son needs to come here with the details. Your statements make little sense. ESTA is the method that a person coming from a Visa Waiver Program enters the US. Permanent residence is NOT an alternative for visitors who do not want to go through ESTA or the Visa process. It is for people who actually intend to reside here. In addition, it is NOT going to be easy for him to get permanent residence here (at least not in a timely fashion).

It would very much matter why he was denied ESTA. I'd venture a guess in that he's stayed multiple times in succession for close to the 90 day limit, so they suspect he's abusing it. He'll need to apply for a visa (probably a B2) and explain what is going on. It would be very much a good idea if he took everything to an immigration attorney. If he has overstayed or committed some other violation, it's likely essential.

1. Sponsored Links