Default Paid for Incomplete Repair. 3 Months Later Car Still in the Shop

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: CA

I took my old diesel Mercedes to a trusted mechanic of 1.5 years. Never an issue until now.

He "repaired" an issue I was having with the engine mount--car rattled unusually fierce at start up and turning off. I paid around $450. I drove the car off and immediately noticed that it felt like a rollercoaster--it was shaking more profound than before and more often (not just and starting up and turning off).

He insisted that I just put up with it. But I told him that's ridiculous.

He took the car back. I told him "take your time because I"m in no rush" but I didn't mean 3+ months.I contacted him about 7 weeks ago and he had a harsh tone.

Basically he's saying it's just a spring that he needs to put it but that finding that part is very difficult.

What do you suggest?

Default Re: Paid for Incomplete Repair. 3 Months Later Car Still in the Shop

Get your car back and take it somewhere that can do the job correctly.

Default Re: Paid for Incomplete Repair. 3 Months Later Car Still in the Shop

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    Get your car back and take it somewhere that can do the job correctly.
    Then, if it is easily handled, you can sue the first mechanic in small claims court for what you paid him to do the job. Another alternative would be to find the spring yourself and get him to install it.

I had an issue once with a GEO Metro. The alternator went bad and apparently based on where the alternator was located in the car, outside mechanics couldn't replace it, it really had to be done at the dealership. The dealer quoted me 800.00 for the alternator and 400.00 for labor and said that it would take two weeks to order and receive the part. I went to Autozone and got the part for 150.00 and took it to the dealer and told them to install it. They reluctantly agree to do so. It immediately failed. I had someone else look at it and the stated that it appeared that the dealer deliberately installed the belts loose so that it would fail.

I took it back to the dealer and their response was that it would take them at least 5 days to get to it and that is what I should have expected buying after market parts. I then told them what the other mechanic had said, just loudly enough that several other waiting customers heard me and low and behold, they called a mechanic up with a tool who took care of it in 5 minutes, and I never had another problem with that car.

1. Sponsored Links