Default Running Away from Home in Florida

I'm a 17 year old who's contemplating leaving my home for 2 weeks, because I feel neglected and trapped in my home. I am almost a legal adult and want to be able to do more things, but my overprotective parents make it impossible. I deal with depression and anxiety which makes things worst for the past few weeks I've been contemplating on commiting scuicde which my mother in the past has told me to do it. I can't handle being in this household I've also reported it in the past but nothing was done, my mother manipulates people into believing her. I've already reached my limit. I in Florida but plan on asking a friend in Maryland if I can stay with them for a little bit before returning home, just to be more free for a few weeks. However, my mother doesn't consent to this. If I go without her consent would I or my friend suffer any legal ramifications? Would this be considered running away if I plan on returning home? Also would I be affected by Florida laws since I'm a resident or Maryland laws?

Default Re: Running Away from Home in Florida

Please contact the National Suicide Prevention Hotline to discuss your issues.

Quote Quoting Skypie
    View Post
    I'm a 17 year old who's contemplating leaving my home for 2 weeks. . . . I in Florida but plan on asking a friend in Maryland if I can stay with them for a little bit before returning home, just to be more free for a few weeks.
    I'm curious why you think leaving, against your parents' will, for two or a few weeks will solve anything -- especially since you leaving for that period of time will likely have a significant impact on your ability to pass your classes (and yes, I'm assuming you're enrolled in school).

Quote Quoting Skypie
    View Post
    If I go without her consent would I or my friend suffer any legal ramifications? Would this be considered running away if I plan on returning home?
    Yes and yes. Your friend (assuming he/she is an adult) could be charged with and convicted of harboring a runaway. Additionally, since you're contemplating traveling from one state to another, it could give rise to federal criminal liability.

Quote Quoting Skypie
    View Post
    Also would I be affected by Florida laws since I'm a resident or Maryland laws?
    Your plan potentially implicates both states' laws and federal law.

How do you think that you are a resident of Maryland when you live in Florida? Staying in Maryland for two weeks does not a resident make.
    Don't make me quote Monty Python at you.

How long until you turn 18?

Quote Quoting BooRennie
    View Post
    How do you think that you are a resident of Maryland when you live in Florida? Staying in Maryland for two weeks does not a resident make.
    What makes you think the OP thinks he/she is a resident of Maryland? This statement from the original post clearly indicates he/she does not think that: "Also would I be affected by Florida laws since I'm a resident or Maryland laws?"

Running away because you think your parents are too overprotective would prove how immature you are.

1. Sponsored Links