Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How is a State School University Police Department Funded

My question involves police conduct in the State of: MI

How is the police department at a large public state university like Michigan State or University of Michigan funded. These schools have full fledged police departments and are distinct and separate from city, county, and state police agencies. They have state-wide jurisdiction, however. For example, they can execute off-campus search warrants, and they can arrest and cite the general public for vehicular crimes off-campus. So how are they funded, privately through tuition and grants from the university, or are they publicly funded like any other public agency, or is it some combination of both?

Default Re: How is a State School University Police Department Funded

Both of the schools you mention are State-owned schools. The schools get their money from a mix of state and federal funds as well as tuition and private sources.

The School PD is a line on the schools' books just like anything else.

It appears to be primarily funded out of the general university budget -- one of many expenditures that the university makes each year.

Quote Quoting MiddlePart
    View Post
    It appears to be primarily funded out of the general university budget -- one of many expenditures that the university makes each year.
    Why do you ask?

Do you think how they are funded provides some sort of defense to arrest and prosecution?

I am UM alum and got into some trouble years ago at the university. However, for years after I left the university my ex continuously reported me to the University police, rather than city police, for interpersonal matters that had nothing to do with the University. In fact, neither of us were affiliated with the university any longer, but a particular detective at UM had a major bone to pick with me, a vendetta of sorts, so she made several attempts at filing charges with the prosecutors.

In my opinion, if this department is funded by tuition and endowments and not the public, this is a gross misallocation of their police resources, and the board of regents wouldnít be happy to know it was happening. Rather, the cases should have been referred to city or state police (I presently live clear across the country).

Any thoughts on this?

Quote Quoting jabzag
    View Post
    I am UM alum and got into some trouble years ago at the university. However, for years after I left the university my ex continuously reported me to the University police, rather than city police, for interpersonal matters that had nothing to do with the University. In fact, neither of us were affiliated with the university any longer, but a particular detective at UM had a major bone to pick with me, a vendetta of sorts, so she made several attempts at filing charges with the prosecutors.

In my opinion, if this department is funded by tuition and endowments and not the public, this is a gross misallocation of their police resources, and the board of regents wouldn’t be happy to know it was happening. Rather, the cases should have been referred to city or state police (I presently live clear across the country).

Any thoughts on this?
    The UM cop is just that a cop. He has the same powers as any other local cop and any case he might bring would be brought to the same prosecutor's office.

Your opinion of how the UM police are funded is based on the idea that tuition and endowments don't become "public" funds once they are received by the school. You are wrong.

If you think this detective is stepping outside his jurisdiction or harassing you based on some sort of vendetta you should report such to the UM Police.

As required by Michigan law, there is also a UM Police Department Oversight Committee to which you can take your complaint.

There is no prohibition on privately funded police departments being given arrest authority. Michigan recognizes them under the MCL 338.1051 (and following sections).

The University I am affiliated with has the same sort of issue. Victims or reporting parties get comfortable with an officer or department and continue to make related calls to that agency or individual. It happens. Most of the time, the agency will punt the matter to the agency of current primary jurisdiction, or will forward a report to the relevant agency. If, however, the original matter was a report involving stalking, harassment, restraining order, etc. - anything that can be said to be an ongoing commission of the prior offenses - might result in the original agency pursuing it for continuity purposes. Some prosecutors' offices like it that way.

Ultimately, you do not have to speak with the UM detective. If you believe the detective is acting out of line, you can make a complaint to the agency. If the DA files charges, you hire an attorney and deal with it. If they don't, then you move on.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    The University I am affiliated with has the same sort of issue. Victims or reporting parties get comfortable with an officer or department and continue to make related calls to that agency or individual. It happens. Most of the time, the agency will punt the matter to the agency of current primary jurisdiction, or will forward a report to the relevant agency. If, however, the original matter was a report involving stalking, harassment, restraining order, etc. - anything that can be said to be an ongoing commission of the prior offenses - might result in the original agency pursuing it for continuity purposes. Some prosecutors' offices like it that way.

Ultimately, you do not have to speak with the UM detective. If you believe the detective is acting out of line, you can make a complaint to the agency. If the DA files charges, you hire an attorney and deal with it. If they don't, then you move on.
    Thanks for your insight on this. I know this isnít a place for feelings or opinions on the law, but I canít help but feel like this is an elitist use of the law. Everyone else who didnt attend a fancy prestigious university has to go through public police agencies to report their matters, if they ever even get addressed. Meanwhile my ex has her personal detective at her alma mater to bid to her every attempt to seek relationship revenge and ruin my life. Iíve cut off all contact with her and the university, but itís just shameful a university police department can be used in this exclusive way. It seems like it should be illegal.

By the way the original charges from the university were for a victimless crime that had nothing to do with the girl. The issue is the detective who investigated it is also a prominent leader in the communities various domestic violence organizations and tasks forces. She has forwarded domestic related cases from her agency to her partner at the city police agency in the past. But she stopped doing that and started filing the complaints with the probation department and prosecutors office herself. So there was is no continuity regarding domestic crimes from her agency itself. She just wants revenge for what she thinks I did to humiliate her university, and sheís using the girls issues with me as leverage. Thatís how I see it anyways. Else the city should have been dealing with this stuff.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast