Quote Quoting jabzag
View Post
Thanks for your insight on this. I know this isn’t a place for feelings or opinions on the law, but I can’t help but feel like this is an elitist use of the law. Everyone else who didnt attend a fancy prestigious university has to go through public police agencies to report their matters, if they ever even get addressed. Meanwhile my ex has her personal detective at her alma mater to bid to her every attempt to seek relationship revenge and ruin my life. I’ve cut off all contact with her and the university, but it’s just shameful a university police department can be used in this exclusive way. It seems like it should be illegal.
This also happens in cities and counties. Before I worked for the University I spent a quarter century in municipal policing. Even there, some people would have a favorite officer you would report offenses to even if they were only tangentially connected to the agency involved. Because I was a supervisor and then a manager (and a nice guy), I was often "that guy" and would sometimes take a courtesy report and forward it along to the agency of primary jurisdiction if it was a new crime, or, express my apologies and provide them with the appropriate contact info. From a customer service standpoint, it's considered bad form to punt a reporting party or victim from one agency to another if the matter is arguably within the sphere of the agency receiving the report. And, given that the UM detective is probably most familiar with the case and/or the parties involved, it might make sense that they write something on any related allegations. Ultimately, it's not just the university police where this happens. However, the university police tend to have the time to devote to conversation and follow-up when the city or county might be too busy to give the reporting party much more than the time of day. So, they feel more comfortable calling the agency they get the best response from even if it's not the one with primary jurisdiction.

People who report incidents will often turn to the person or agency that they felt was most responsive to their needs. One can argue as to whether "responsive" means that the agency/officer was the most easily manipulated, or they were the one the reporting party felt the most comfortable with.

I cannot speak to any bias by the investigating detective, and chances are you cannot, either. The detective at the university could simply have been forwarding a report they received on to the DA and the matter was then dropped. That happens with some frequency in cases that involve domestic violence or accusations potentially related to it (like stalking, harassment, TRO violations, etc.). As long as the detective was still functioning within the law and agency policy, chances are nothing that occurred was untoward. You are certainly free to contact the UM police and make further inquiry. But, if you haven't been charged and your ex is simply screaming into the wind, it might be best to just let sleeping dogs lie.