Default Translation of 'Tbd,' 'Tb' and 'Epayi' Case Flags in California Traffic Case Searches

My contribution involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California

For anyone whose online search for traffic case status has returned:
    A payment cannot be made to the case because it currently has an active case flag of 'TBD'.
    A payment cannot be made to the case because it currently has an active case flag of 'TB'.
    A payment cannot be made to the case because it currently has an active case flag of 'EPAYI'.

TBD = Trial by Declaration
    TB = Trust - Bail
    EPAYI = E-Portal Ineligible

The meaning of "Trial by Declaration" seems obvious enough: the system is noting that you've expressed the intention or have actually submitted a trial by declaration.

Regrettably, I don't know the true meaning of "Trust - Bail." In my case, I paid bail at the time of procuring my Trial by Declaration forms, so this flag may be indicating that the court has bail in-hand.

Similarly, "E-Portal Ineligible" is somewhat unclear, as the statement does not indicate why the case is e-portal ineligible (though one might infer that it's saying no payment can be accepted, as none is required -- but that's not obvious from the flag).

My question also involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California

As a result of queries against my case, over a month ago (4 months after I had paid bail and submitted my Trial by Declaration), I also received:
    "A payment cannot be made to the case because it currently has an active case flag of 'WARB'."
    This line no longer appears in response to case queries. What did "WARB" mean?

Thanks,
    -IlDavo in San Diego-

Default Re: Translation of 'Tbd,' 'Tb' and 'Epayi' Case Flags in California Traffic Case Sear

Your intent of TBD occurs when you submit the bail, the TR-205, and your statement. If you've done all this it will be in TBD state until the judge finds you guilty and forfeits your bail.

If you didn't send in the bail, I suspect you're facing a warrant for failure to pay.

Default Re: Translation of 'Tbd,' 'Tb' and 'Epayi' Case Flags in California Traffic Case Sear

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    If you've done all this it will be in TBD state until the judge finds you guilty and forfeits your bail.
    Interesting that you assume that the OP will be found guilty when you know nothing of his/her case.

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    Interesting that you assume that the OP will be found guilty when you know nothing of his/her case.
    That was somewhat facetious, but alas nearly all TBDs result in guilty verdicts. It usually takes the officer being so derelict in his duty that he fails to respond (and even sometimes that isn't good enough).
    However, the main point I was trying to make is that an "intent" to submit a TBD doesn't really mean anything. You submit your declaration with the intent form (and a bail amount equivalent to the fine).
    If you don't do that, and you don't show at your appearance, you most likely do have an FTA and a warrant pending

It should be noted that CA Traffic Courts rarely ever issue arrest warrants any longer, pursuant to a change in the CVC in 2017 (CVC 40509.5(d)). An FTA for an infraction generally results in a license suspension as well as financial penalties, and ultimately the total amount can go to collections.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links