Default 11 U.S. Code and 8239;523 Claims

My question involves bankruptcy in the state of: NY

If the entity your suing or about to sue files bankruptcy before you can bring a claim that they obtained some of your money by fraud and experienced personal injury based on the fraud, and the finding of fraud is liquidated in the claims process which would support your personal injury claim, then is that now a debt that is an exception to discharge under 11 U.S. Code  523? Or does the court need to find also that the defendant acted with malice?

Default Re: 11 U.S. Code and 8239;523 Claims

Quote Quoting nobeefcow
    View Post
    My question involves bankruptcy in the state of: NY

If the entity your suing or about to sue files bankruptcy before you can bring a claim that they obtained some of your money by fraud and experienced personal injury based on the fraud, and the finding of fraud is liquidated in the claims process which would support your personal injury claim, then is that now a debt that is an exception to discharge under 11 U.S. Code  523? Or does the court need to find also that the defendant acted with malice?
    If the bankruptcy court determines that the debt was the result of fraud perpetrated by the debtor then that debt is excluded from the discharge. There is no malice needed.

Here's your problem.

If the entity files Chapter 7 there is no Section 523 cause of action since entities do not get discharges and 523 only applies to individuals in Chapter 7.

If the entity files for Chapter 11 and confirms a Chapter 11 Plan of Reorganization, Section 523(a)(2) only applies under certain circumstances as described in 11 USC 1141(d)(6)(A), which probably does not apply in your situation.

You need to talk to a well qualified attny.

Des.

Quote Quoting despritfreya
    View Post
    Here's your problem.

If the entity files Chapter 7 there is no Section 523 cause of action since entities do not get discharges and 523 only applies to individuals in Chapter 7.

If the entity files for Chapter 11 and confirms a Chapter 11 Plan of Reorganization, Section 523(a)(2) only applies under certain circumstances as described in 11 USC 1141(d)(6)(A), which probably does not apply in your situation.

You need to talk to a well qualified attny.

Des.
    What if the entity is a DIP and confirms a Chapter 11 Plan for liquidation? In this particular case, there is a consumer creditor committee and the attorney in this case is well qualified. And she is busy. I was just wondering if those claims are dischargable by law because it is rather confusing. Fascinating but damn confusing.

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    If the bankruptcy court determines that the debt was the result of fraud perpetrated by the debtor then that debt is excluded from the discharge. There is no malice needed.
    Thank you. I thought that is how it read but I'm not a lawyer so I can never be sure!

Quote Quoting nobeefcow
    View Post
    What if the entity is a DIP and confirms a Chapter 11 Plan for liquidation?
    All Chapter 11 debtors are "Debtors In Possession" unless a Trustee is appointed. Confirmed Plans can be used to reorganize or liquidate.

I did not get involved in your other thread due to various reasons that I will not elaborate on. Read the Code and find a good, well qualified bk attny.

Des.

Quote Quoting despritfreya
    View Post
    All Chapter 11 debtors are "Debtors In Possession" unless a Trustee is appointed. Confirmed Plans can be used to reorganize or liquidate.

I did not get involved in your other thread due to various reasons that I will not elaborate on. Read the Code and find a good, well qualified bk attny.

Des.
    Well now I'm really intrigued... what other thread because I had two. But just to be clear, what about the personal injury claim attached to the tort? Dischargable?

Quote Quoting nobeefcow
    View Post
    Well now I'm really intrigued... what other thread. . .
    https://www.expertlaw.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=245080

Des.

I would LOVE to find a good attorney but I failed the first time picking one obviously and now I have trust issues; I can't trust myself or lawyers lol. I guess I'm just screwed all around! If anyone is reading this and you think you want to handle your own case against a big corporation with the big lawyers in their big, shiny building, don't! Unless of course you are willing to lose everything including your sanity. I have lost my job and my quality of life has suffered so much because of this. But if I look at the bright side of things, I have learned some valuable life lessons. Not sure if it was worth it though. I would trade anything to have my simple life back that I enjoyed before I was ever forced into business with this company. Ignorance is bliss.

11 USC 1141(d)(6)(A) does not apply to my case. BUT I can pretend that it does for the purposes of filing a motion in my case right, just to drive the other attorney as crazy as he has driven me? I mean, if I'm going to lose it anyway, might as well cause them to spend a little more on attorney fees and have a little fun right? lol.

I'm only joking about the above. I prefer not come across as a total moron if I can help myself.

1. Sponsored Links