Default Can a Customer Sue a Business for Employees Calling Them Racial Slurs

My question involves civil rights in the State of: Illinois

I was in a drive-thru of a fast food restaurant dealing with a rude employee. We parked the car and went inside to speak with a manager. The employee said she was not rude. I replied that she was being rude right now. She started screaming, "I'm not talking to you, white bitch!" The shift manager who witnessed this refunded my money, but did not speak to the employee, did not send her home and refused to give me her first name. This location is a fast food franchise. Can they be sued for non-action about racial slurs? And does it matter in terms of a lawsuit that I am white?

Default Re: Can a Customer Sue a Business for Employees Calling Them Racial Slurs

Suing someone for calling you a racial slur is a waste of time and your money.

Post a bad review on Yelp and move on.

Default Re: Can a Customer Sue a Business for Employees Calling Them Racial Slurs

Quote Quoting sedalina
    View Post

I was in a drive-thru of a fast food restaurant dealing with a rude employee. We parked the car and went inside to speak with a manager. The employee said she was not rude. I replied that she was being rude right now. She started screaming, "I'm not talking to you, white bitch!" The shift manager who witnessed this refunded my money, but did not speak to the employee, did not send her home and refused to give me her first name. This location is a fast food franchise. Can they be sued for non-action about racial slurs? And does it matter in terms of a lawsuit that I am white?
    If the fast food restaurant is part of a chain, then making an official complaint to the corporate headquarters will usually get some action. Most company headquarters even have places on their websites where you can leave complaints about specific stores.

Quote Quoting bcr229
    View Post
    Suing someone for calling you a racial slur is a waste of time and your money.

Post a bad review on Yelp and move on.
    That's not what I asked. It would have been very easy for you to skip over the question if you have nothing of value to say.

Just about anyone can sue for just about anything in the US. I don't see where you have anything more than, at best, a nuisance suit. The manager is not required to discipline the employee on the spot, or at all really, nor are you entitled to know the outcome of that discipline.

You are free to file a complaint with the corporate parent of the franchise but I don't see any successful legal action that will net you much of anything.

Quote Quoting sedalina
    View Post

"Non-action" about as you describe, does not rise to the level of a valid "Cause of action". I can think of no legal theory to sue upon.

Quote Quoting sedalina
    View Post
    Can they be sued for non-action about racial slurs?
    You could not successfully sue for that because no law requires an employer to fire or otherwise discipline an employee for making racial insults or slurs. If you can prove that the business discriminated against you because of your race (e.g. refuse to serve you because of your race, treated you worse than other customers because of your race, etc) then you may have a good lawsuit to bring. The problem is few businesses discriminate against white customers so proving that the business treated you worse because you are white is going to be a difficult job. And then there is the issue of damages. You didn't suffer any financial loss or harm as a result of this rude employee which means that you'd likely win little to nothing in such a lawsuit. In short, it wouldn't be worth your time and money to pursue this over the rude comments of one employee.

The fact that no action was taken in front of you is not proof that no action was taken. There is no requirement that she be disciplined in your presence or in public, and there is no requirement that you be told what action was taken.

1. Sponsored Links