Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Bought Brand New Car and Dealer Didnít Verify Insurance

Back in August I bought a new car. I
    Took my old Jeep off my insurance and put my new care on thinking I had gotten full coverage. The car dealer is supposed to verify that I had full coverage. Fast forward to 3
    Weeks ago I hit a deer on the interstate. Lots of damage to my car. I immediately called my insurance and they said I had o my liability. Now why didnít the car dealer tell me I only had liability after they are supposed to verify this ? Why didnít my car insurance place tell me I had the wrong insurance knowing I needed full coverage because I had to put in my bank info from the loan. There are these processes in place that no one followed. Is there a case here? It will cost $9000 to fix my new car.

Default Re: Bought Brand New Car and Dealer Didnít Verify Insurance

It is your personal responsibility to make sure your car has the insurance you want it to have. It's not the dealerships.

When you took the old car off and put the new one on, did you not discuss the coverage with your insurance agent?

Just a few weeks ago, ours gave us a specific paper to take to our insurance agent and made sure we understood that while we provided the insurance contract number that they were not responsible for anything other than checking what we had that day on our current car. They verify coverage so that you can walk out the door with the car. But any changes or updates can only come from you.

Quote Quoting Jaimebondrn
    View Post
    Is there a case here?
    No.

This is nobody's fault but your own. Neither your agent nor the dealer is responsible for the coverage that you asked for. There are no processes in place other than YOU asking your insurance company for the coverage you need. Period.

You put the new car on the policy in August. So, at some time during the rest of August and into September you received the endorsement adding the car.

Had you read it you would have instantly seen that you only had liability coverage.

In what state was this?

AJ, isn't this a comprehensive claim?
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

View Post
    The car dealer is supposed to verify that I had full coverage.
    Where did you get that idea?

View Post
    I immediately called my insurance and they said I had o my liability.
    I assume that what you meant to type was that the insurer told you that you only have liability coverage.

View Post
    why didn’t the car dealer tell me I only had liability after they are supposed to verify this ?
    How exactly would the dealer have the slightest idea about the details of your auto insurance coverage -- unless you provided the dealer with a copy of your policy (or at least the declarations page)? Did you do that? If you did do that, then you also knew the details of your coverage.

View Post
    Why didn’t my car insurance place tell me I had the wrong insurance knowing I needed full coverage because I had to put in my bank info from the loan.
    What does "the wrong insurance" mean, and how would you expect your insurer to know that you "needed full coverage"? What does "I had to put in my bank info from the loan" mean? Put it where?

View Post
    Is there a case here?
    A case of what?

Here's another question: Why didn't you take responsibility for ensuring that you were carrying full coverage? It was no one's responsibility but yours to ensure that you were carrying appropriate coverage.

Quote Quoting hr for me
    View Post
    When you took the old car off and put the new one on, did you not discuss the coverage with your insurance agent?
    My guess is that the OP (like most folks these days, I suspect -- maybe "adjusterjack" can provide some insight) bought his/her policy and changed cars through the insurer's website and did not speak and never has spoken with an agent. That's not uncommon, and it's how I've handled my auto insurance for most of my adult life.

However, even if I'm right, the OP knew or should have known what sort of insurance he/she was carrying at the time he/she swapped the cars out and could and should have verified his/her coverages at that time. I recently got a new car and, when I swapped out the old one for the new one at my insurer's web site, I was able to and did review my coverages. Again, the OP apparently did not have full coverage before acquiring the new car and knew or should have known that was the case. Accordingly, when swapping out the old car for the new one, it was incumbent on the OP to ensure that the coverage conformed to what he/she needed and wanted.

Quote Quoting Who'sThatGuy
    View Post
    AJ, isn't this a comprehensive claim?
    Yes, but the OP apparently only had liability coverage.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post

Yes, but the OP apparently only had liability coverage.
    Right, but for some reason I though comprehensive and liability are included in a policy that doesn't have full coverage. Now I see you can have just liability, liability with comp or full coverage.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

View Post
    Right, but for some reason I though comprehensive and liability are included in a policy that doesn't have full coverage. Now I see you can have just liability, liability with comp or full coverage.
    Liability coverage is just that. Coverage to pay off others.

View Post
    "Full coverage" isn't an insurance term. It's a colloquialism that generally means that the insured carries comprehensive and collision (and maybe also UM/UIM) in addition to legally required liability coverage. One can purchase a policy that provides only liability coverage, and I've never heard of someone having comprehensive coverage without having collision coverage (although I suppose it's at least theoretically possible).

I honestly thought that car dealers, when they arrange the financing, are responsible to the bank to make sure the car has full coverage? Isn't that something that the bank expects them to verify?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast