Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Bought Brand New Car and Dealer Didnít Verify Insurance

It may well be atypical. MA is not known for doing things like everyone else.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    It may well be atypical. MA is not known for doing things like everyone else.
    Um, Michigan here with the only state in the country that has no fault provisions in their liability insurance laws. Talk about atypical.

so how does one drive a car off the dealers lot when purchasing it if the dealer doesn’t issue a temp plate?

You go to the RMV in advance, of course. You make the deal on Thursday night, go to the insurance carrier and get the stamp Friday, carry it to the RMV and get your registration and plates/new stickers as applicable, go back to the dealer and pick up the car. That's how I've always done it. Except for one time when the dealer offered, as a service, to do the insurance/registration for me. For an extra, I think it was $35 bucks, I gave her the name of my insurance agent and when I came back the next day all I had to do was take the plates of my turn-in, add the new stickers, put them on the new car and drive off.

I imagine the dealers have temp plates for oddball situations or vanity plate issues but never once have I been issued one.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    so how does one drive a car off the dealers lot when purchasing it if the dealer doesn’t issue a temp plate?
    Some (or most states) states allow you to transfer plates from you old car to the new car in lieu of new plates. It cost much less than getting new plates.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    You go to the RMV in advance, of course. You make the deal on Thursday night, go to the insurance carrier and get the stamp Friday, carry it to the RMV and get your registration and plates/new stickers as applicable, go back to the dealer and pick up the car. That's how I've always done it. Except for one time when the dealer offered, as a service, to do the insurance/registration for me. For an extra, I think it was $35 bucks, I gave her the name of my insurance agent and when I came back the next day all I had to do was take the plates of my turn-in, add the new stickers, put them on the new car and drive off.

I imagine the dealers have temp plates for oddball situations or vanity plate issues but never once have I been issued one.
    We are one of the states where you can transfer plates from one vehicle to another, but the way it works for us is that you get a temporary plate provided by the dealer, and you have 30 days to register the car with the DMV. If you had insurance on your trade in, your new car is automatically covered for 10 days to give you time to update the insurance information.

I forget how it works if you don't have a trade in. I have never bought a car where I didn't have a trade in unless it was a private purchase and in that case we just take care of things ASAP and don't drive the car any further than home until we do.

I have never bought a car where I didn't have a trade in

Neither have I. I guess maybe that's where the temp plates come in. Mass does have them, I just don't see them very often.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post

Neither have I. I guess maybe that's where the temp plates come in. Mass does have them, I just don't see them very often.
    That would make sense.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post

we can’t go to the sos in advance. They won’t issue a plate unless you can show proof of ownership or are applying for a title at that time and my insurance isn’t too keen about issuing vouchers for cars I haven’t purchase yet either. As well, when purchasing a new vehicle I can’t take the documents to the SOS. It has to be processed by the dealer so the delay involved cannot be circumvented.

When the dealer got my plates for me recently it took The state two weeks to process the transaction and issue plates. I wouldn’t be willing to leave my newly purchased vehicle at the dealer for two weeks waiting for plates. So, temp (14 or 15 day) plate it is.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post

I have never traded in a car when purchasing a new one.

Any reputable dealer in NJ will handle all the registration of a new or used car for you in a matter of days or even the same day depending on the time of day you purchase the car. There is a dealer line specifically for dealerships to use at the DMV offices. No or very little waiting. There are usually two options when you sign the purchase agreement. One is you get new plates issued or you transfer your old plated to the new vehicle. Temporary tags are only issued to purchases that want to title the car in another state and are good for 30 days.

The title fee and the issue or transfer of palates fee is not the same and are paid for separately.

If thereís a problem with your car after purchase and itís not your fault, you have more options if you bought from a car dealer. This is because buying from a dealer gives you many more consumer rights than if you buy privately.the dealer must comply with the Consumer Guarantees Act and the fair trading act also he must be registered and comply with the Motor Vehicle Sales Act and finally display an accurate Consumer Information Notice (CIN) on used vehicles. i think these are your rights if something goes wrong and you need to talk to him !

1. Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast