Post Can I Send My Son to Another School Not in His Hometown

My question involves education law in the State of: Massachusetts

My elementary school child is in a school district with a horrible school standing. The graduation rate is 65% and the student's are wild, crude, and disruptive. The school I want to send him to is ten miles away, and I have a family member that lives in that town. Would it be legal/acceptable to change his address to there? I just want my son to have a better education. He's in home-school now, but it's mentally taxing on both of us. We do plan on moving next year to the better school district.

I just want to know if there are any repercussions for sending him to a school district where he doesn't reside?

Default Re: Can I Send My Son to Another School Not in His Hometown

Quote Quoting Summerbaby
    View Post
    I just want to know if there are any repercussions for sending him to a school district where he doesn't reside?
    If you have to lie to the school district to say that you reside in the school district when you don't in order for him to attend then you may indeed face legal problems. At the very least the kid would be kicked out and/or you'd be billed for the cost of his education. And perhaps, though less likely, you might face a civil fine or criminal charges for the fraud. The taxpayers of that other district aren't going to want to pay for educating a kid who does not live in that district.

Default Re: Can I Send My Son to Another School Not in His Hometown

When you called the school district where you want to send your child, and asked them what their policies are for non-residents, what did they say?

1. Sponsored Links