Default Signing a Ticket

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: New York

I assume that signing a traffic ticket means you will take care of it. What happens if you sign it and tell the officer even though you're signing it you won't take care of it.

Default Re: Signing a Ticket

Quote Quoting usairworker
    View Post
    My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: New York

I assume that signing a traffic ticket means you will take care of it. What happens if you sign it and tell the officer even though you're signing it you won't take care of it.
    If you get a ticket and don't take care of it, eventually your license will get suspended and you might even go to jail. If you tell the officer you are not going to take care of it the officer certainly won't cut you any breaks.

Signing the ticket acknowledges you received it.

Telling the officer that you aren't going to "take care of it" will likely result in he or she making a note of it in their log. When you don't "take care of it" is when your license gets suspended or worse.

View Post
    I assume that signing a traffic ticket means you will take care of it.
    That's awfully vague. When you get a traffic ticket, it's because the cop believes you committed a crime (a very minor crime, but a crime nonetheless). Since it would not be practical to effect a custodial arrest for every traffic violation, the motorist signs the ticket, which indicates his/her promise to appear and answer the charges (or, simply, to pay the fine). This is in lieu of being taken into custody.

View Post
    What happens if you sign it and tell the officer even though you're signing it you won't take care of it.
    This is a gramatically garbled sentence, and I suspect you left out a word or two. In any event, if you don't pay the ticket or show up in court to answer the charges, then a warrant is likely to be issued for your arrest. Your driver's license may be suspended and you may be unable to renew your car's registration.

Sorry pg. NY traffic infractions are rarely crimes.
    I'm curious to the original question. The NY State Uniform Traffic Ticket has no place for the accused to sign on receipt (whether it is a infraction or misdemeanor). The only signature blocks are for when you either plead guilty and pay it or plead not guilty and want a supporting deposition from the officer.

There's a scare notice that says failing to respond to the ticket may result in a warrant for your arrest.

View Post
    What happens if you sign it and tell the officer even though you're signing it you won't take care of it.
    Why would you want to be that stupid?

1. Sponsored Links