Default Terminating Simple Trust, Los Angeles County

My question involves estate proceedings in the state of: California, Los Angeles County

All debts and distributions to beneficiaries of my deceased father's simple, non-probated trust have been made by myself, the successor Trustee. Since L.A. County is ridiculously convoluted in its laws, I need to ask if L.A. County requires any special filings with them indicating the Trust is terminating. If so, input is appreciated. If not, any additional suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Default Re: Terminating Simple Trust, Los Angeles County

If you haven't had to go to court on anything till now, you aren't likely to have to do anything further to terminate the trust. See CA Trust Code section 15404 and 15407:

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...er=3.&article=

I can't imagine LA County requiring more than what the state code requires. I tried a search using a variety of wording that included trust and Los Angeles County and came up with nothing.

Default Re: Terminating Simple Trust, Los Angeles County

Quote Quoting edkrane
    View Post
    L.A. County is ridiculously convoluted in its laws
    No it isn't, and I'm really at a loss as to why you'd think that. The County of Los Angeles (like the other 57 counties in California) has precisely zero laws governing trusts. All laws governing trusts are made at the state level (and most are found in the Probate Code (and particularly Division 9)).

Quote Quoting edkrane
    View Post
    I need to ask if L.A. County requires any special filings with them indicating the Trust is terminating.
    If the administration of the trust is not court-supervised (as your statement that your father's trust is "non-probated" seems to indicate), then there is no need for you to file anything with the court.

Quote Quoting edkrane
    View Post
    any additional suggestions are welcome.
    Based on your question, I suspect there are things you overlooked in the administration of the trust, which is why, as a general matter, I think the administration of a trust (even a "simple, non-probated trust") is not a good DIY project. I would recommend that you at least consult with a local attorney who handles trust administration. Unfortunately, you indicated that you've paid all debts and distributions, so I assume the trust no longer has any assets. If that's the case, any fees would be borne by you (whereas, had you done this before paying out all assets, fees would be payable by the trust). Obviously, it's up to you whether you want to take the risk or not.

1. Sponsored Links