Default How Can I Get Justice for My Son He Was Murdered and No Charges Where Filed

My question involves police conduct in the State of: WV My son was murdered 10/12/19 and the man that shot him confessed twice on camera and no charges have been filed. My son was set up by his girlfriend and her new lovers shot and killed my son my son was only 23. The police officer that responded knows the girl that set my son up but he supposedly still investigated the case. I tried to talk to internal affairs they refused us. I tried going to state police they said that they know the guys are involved and they are good guys and refused to help us. They told us to literally try are hand with FBI. This situation is eating my family alive and we are getting no where with the local police. I am at the point I want to sue they police force for not handling this case properly. I need to know where to turn please any advise is most appreciated. My son Michael deserves justice and the man that shot him needs locked up.

Thank you for any and all help
    Grieving Momma

Default Re: How Can I Get Justice for My Son He Was Murdered and No Charges Where Filed

You cannot sue the police under theses circumstances. You have not standing, but even if you did, just a month has passed and they may not have completed their investigation. Unlike on TV, arrests are not often made in murder cases right away, they like to have all the i's dotted and the t"s crossed before an arrest is made. Have you considered suing the man who shot your son and the ex girlfriend for wrongful death.

Default Re: How Can I Get Justice for My Son He Was Murdered and No Charges Where Filed

Quote Quoting SarahMSkaggs
    View Post
    My question involves police conduct in the State of: WV My son was murdered 10/12/19 and the man that shot him confessed twice on camera and no charges have been filed. My son was set up by his girlfriend and her new lovers shot and killed my son my son was only 23. The police officer that responded knows the girl that set my son up but he supposedly still investigated the case. I tried to talk to internal affairs they refused us. I tried going to state police they said that they know the guys are involved and they are good guys and refused to help us. They told us to literally try are hand with FBI. This situation is eating my family alive and we are getting no where with the local police. I am at the point I want to sue they police force for not handling this case properly. I need to know where to turn please any advise is most appreciated. My son Michael deserves justice and the man that shot him needs locked up.

Grieving Momma
    Sarah, I'm so sorry for your loss - I can't begin to imagine what you're going through. But please know that murder investigations take time -- even when there is a confession. May I suggest finding a support group, therapist, or the victim advocate for your state (https://dcr.wv.gov/services/victimse...s/default.aspx).

And even once they decide to charge him, the pace of things may seem overly slow to you.

You may be able to get some information and assistance from the county prosecutor's victims assistance program, you can get pointers to each county's program here: http://www.vwapwv.com/counties.html

Quote Quoting SarahMSkaggs
    View Post

Grieving Momma
    I am so sorry for your loss and the trauma this has put you and your family through.

That being said, I will echo others in saying that homicide investigations can take time. The evidence you may think the police have may not be as compelling as you think, and there may be more rabbit holes the inquiry is traveling down. Understand that once an arrest is made a clock starts ticking. If they are not prepared to go to trial at the time of the arrest, they could lose.

While you say that the initial responding officer "knows the girl" that you believe set your son up to be killed, that does not mean that there is any malfeasance. I can't think of why an officer would risk his career and his freedom to cover up a murder?! And, if this is a smaller community, it is not surprising that he might know one or more of the parties involved. I spent most of my career in a small town and I knew most the people I arrested - even a few people I considered friends. Knowing them can help get statements and information that a stranger might not. If officers recused themselves simply because they KNEW a party involved, small and medium sized community law enforcement would grind to a halt.

Work with any local support groups, or your county's victim-witness program. Speak to an investigator or supervisor (or higher) at the police department. Hopefully someone can give you some encouragement that the mater has NOT been forgotten.

Good luck to you.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

You have no viable civil claim against the police. I suggest you focus your efforts on trying to convince the county prosecuting attorney to file charges. Also, it is hardly unreasonable for charges not to have been filed barely a month after the date of death.

1. Sponsored Links