Angry Boyfriend Kicked Me Out, Won't Let Me Get My Items, Over 2 Weeks. California State

My question involves marriage law for the State of: CA

My boyfriend just kicked me out of his house that we've shared for over 6 years, took my key & has kept my personal posessions, and will not let me get them. He also has by small business supplies & won't let me have them either, costing me $$ and credibility in my business. I am now homeless & living in my vehicle. Please advise, either officer standby or take his house from him & kick him out.

Default Re: Boyfriend Kicked Me Out, Won't Let Me Get My Items, Over 2 Weeks. California Stat

If you call the local police agency they can stand by while you retrieve your personal property. The problem is that the officer cannot FORCE him to let you in, much less turn anything over to you. The officer might be able to explain to him that the best way to send you on your way is to allow you to retrieve all of your property so that you no longer have a claim to the residence. But, if the ex refuses, you may have to sue him in Small Claims Court.

Now, you say you have shared the house with him. What does that mean? Were you paying rent? Are you on the lease? Is it his house and you were able to stay there so long as you and he were an item? Answers to these questions can help in guiding you in what future steps you might be able to take.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Default Re: Boyfriend Kicked Me Out, Won't Let Me Get My Items, Over 2 Weeks. California Stat

Quote Quoting wickedy1
    View Post
    My boyfriend just kicked me out of his house
    Please elaborate as to what this means since I assume he did not physically kick you in order to force you to leave.

Quote Quoting wickedy1
    View Post
    Please advise, either officer standby or take his house from him & kick him out.
    Not really sure what sort of response you're seeking or what "officer standby" means. Assuming your references to "his house" means that he is the owner of the house, you obviously cannot "take his house from him." That's just silly. You're free to contact the local police or sheriff and see if they'll provide assistance in retrieving your property. If that doesn't work, then your recourse is to sue (including suing for wrongful eviction).

Arguably, you may have a right to simply break in and retrieve your property. However, the longer you stay away from the home the weaker your claim to have lawful access to the property. You should probably contact the local police ASAP and ask about a standby while you go to collect your items.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    Arguably, you may have a right to simply break in and retrieve your property. However, the longer you stay away from the home the weaker your claim to have lawful access to the property. You should probably contact the local police ASAP and ask about a standby while you go to collect your items.
    Regarding the act of breaking in to your own residence, I thought the following thread from last month was interesting:
    She Won't Pay, but She Won't Move Out Either. Isn't That a Crime

However the woman in that thread broke in within hours of being denied entry, and for you it’s probably been longer so cdwjava’s suggestion above makes the most sense.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    Please elaborate as to what this means since I assume he did not physically kick you in order to force you to leave.
    kick out. 1. phrasal verb. To kick someone out of a place or an organization means to force them to leave it. [informal]
    Hard to believe you didn't know that. Try Google next time.

You make my case almost every time you post.

1. Sponsored Links