Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Legality of Employee Discount Loophole

Quote Quoting Inebriatedcactus
    View Post
    Yeah, that's what I figured. Would they have any grounds to take legal action against me in addition to firing me?
    They might. You clearly know what you are doing is not within what the rules for discounts is meant to provide you. You are taking something from your employer that you are not entitled to have, which may support a theft or fraud criminal prosecution and the employer may sue for recovery of the excess amounts you obtained from the scheme. If I were you I'd not take that risk.

Having worked retail loss prevention for a while, I'll throw in my experience. If you use it for the kind of discounts you are asking about, every large retail company I am aware will notice the activity. They will then start watching you. If they are desperate for stats, they'll sit on you for a week or so and then grab you up. If they are not, they will watch and wait to see if you are going to do anything straight up illegal like hooking up other people. After they are done watching, they will grab you up. You will be fired, I can almost 100% assure you of that. I doubt they would seek criminal charges unless you went ham on them (do kids still say that, going ham?), if any could actually be applied. They will pressure you to sign a civil demand for the difference between what you should have paid and what you did pay.

Well, of course, if you like never getting another job as long as you live (because unlike what you may have seen on the internet, it is perfectly legal for your employer to give a truthful answer as to why you were fired).

[link elided - Mod]

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    You clearly know what you are doing is not within what the rules for discounts is meant to provide you.
    I'm not so sure about that. The OP seems to indicate that this is entirely within the rules of the discount program. That the OP suspects (probably rightly so) that the employer wouldn't be happy about that doesn't, IMO, mean a whole heck of a lot in terms of legality.

If this large retail company also has brick and mortar locations the OP should try this little scam at one of them. This way the OP would know if it is a rule violation and a software glitch on the website.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2