Default After Death Responsibilities

My question involves estate proceedings in the state of: FLORIDA

My mother just passed away and I have used all her assets to pay for furneral and burial expenses and she has no more assets. she has a couple of credit cards that have a balance over $2000 and some medical expenses but there is nothing left to pay with. I havent set up an estate after death because of her having no assets but what was in her bank account and just don see the point of incurring legal fees.

So my question is it ok not to pay for legal fees to setup an estate when there is nothing in it?

Default Re: After Death Responsibilities

Quote Quoting aprater
    View Post
    My question involves estate proceedings in the state of: FLORIDA

My mother just passed away and I have used all her assets to pay for furneral and burial expenses and she has no more assets. she has a couple of credit cards that have a balance over $2000 and some medical expenses but there is nothing left to pay with. I havent set up an estate after death because of her having no assets but what was in her bank account and just don see the point of incurring legal fees.

So my question is it ok not to pay for legal fees to setup an estate when there is nothing in it?
    Yes, its ok not to pay for legal fees to set up an estate when there is nothing in it. You would certainly never have to pay out of your own pocket for something like that. However, how were you able to use the money in her bank account for the funeral and burial expenses if you never set up an estate? Were you on the bank account?

Here is something for all to help with . My father died on 11/04/2019 , very recently . He had a car loan on a 2019 Mercedes Benz GLC/300 . it has 32k miles . What is going to happen if I do not make any car payments on this ? Its paid up until December 23 , 2019 . I do not want this car in my name . Can USAA sue me ? there is no damn money left .And can USAA hire some crook to jump my fence & steal/repo the car , whoever jumps my momma's fence better be packing heat ! Can these people ruin my day sometime in the future ?

Colt, you need to start your own thread. USAA has the right to repo the car if payments are not made. Why do you think you get to keep the car if money is owed on it?
    Repo agents are not crooks. You didn't indicate what state, but in most they can not break and enter, however you'd be ill-advised to threaten or carry through on assault with a deadly weapon. Also understand that intentionally hiding a car from a valid repo may be a crime in your state.

Ok then whenever they jump my fence , I will simply give them a Peppermint !

Quote Quoting CColt
    View Post
    Ok then whenever they jump my fence , I will simply give them a Peppermint !
    Before you think you can shoot someone in your unnamed state, be sure you know the law. Even in Castle/SYG states, you're often in for a world of hurt in an 100% justifiable solution.
    What I recommend you do is contact USAA and see if there was any coverage for the death of the borrower. If so, then it's likely an issue between you and the estate. If not, I would make arrangements with USAA as to what they want to do with the car. They will likely want to make a claim against the estate for the balance or they may want to repo the car. If they repo the car and it has some equity in it, the excess amount would go back to the estate. Just because you're illegally possessing the car doesn't give you the right to shoot people.

You have quite an attitude with regard to the law and the rules of this forum. I'm not discussing this in this thread any further as it's irrelevant to the topic. If you want to start your own thread, please do so.

1. Sponsored Links