Default Can I Keep My COBRA Even if I Offered Health Plan at My New Job

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: NY

I was laid off couple of months ago and had my COBRA plan from that place. Now I started a new job and they are offering health insurance.

But with my existing COBRA plan I already reached my deductible. Can I refuse health plan at my new job and continue to use COBRA?

Thanks

Default Re: Can I Keep My COBRA Even if I Offered Health Plan at My New Job

You can use Cobra for 18 months but since you are paying the entire premium, you are likely paying more than the new job's plan and the deductible is by calendar year so starting January, you'll have to meet it again....

You also will not be able to enroll in your employer's plan until their next Open Enrollment period. You can't just join it at any time that's convenient for you.

Just to clarify CBG's statement, you will not be able to enroll in your employer's plan until their next Open Enrollment period after the initial new hire enrollment date.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    Just to clarify CBG's statement, you will not be able to enroll in your employer's plan until their next Open Enrollment period after the initial new hire enrollment date.
    Thanks for the clarification. We are in our own Open Enrollment period right now and I'm working 14 hour days; missing some obvious points.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. We are in our own Open Enrollment period right now and I'm working 14 hour days; missing some obvious points.
    Just realize that if your 18 months of COBRA run out before the next open enrollment you will likely not be a happy camper.

Just one clarification - if this OP drops COBRA voluntarily outside of new hire/open enrollment windows, I agree this would not be a qualifying event to join the employer's plan. However if the OP keeps COBRA and ages off at 18 months, i.e. loses coverage, it very well might be a qualifying event to add on mid-year. But the OP would have to keep COBRA the whole period.

But I do agree it is generally not worth keeping COBRA just because of the deductible usually since the employer generally subsidizes a portion of the employee's premiums.

I might be. I've never seen it be an issue because of the savings to the employee of having half or more of their medical paid by the employer has always had the effect of the employee wanting to get the heck off COBRA.

1. Sponsored Links