Default Is It Unethical for Attorney to Work with Dr, and Have Said Doctor Increase Fees

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: Tx

If you are working with an Attorney regarding an auto accident, and Said Attorney refers you to a certain Doctor for some of your treatment. And the Doctor wont bill your health insurance as all the other providers will and that he will turn a bill into the attorney when treatment is done.(Chiro)

Fast forward and I find that the medical billings and numbers don't match what I show... And when I questioned attorney about this dollar amount not matching what EOB's and my out of pocket I cant get an answer to what the final bill for his "Doctor" but the difference is almost 5K.... Is this something standard or just crooked?

Default Re: Is It Unethical for Attorney to Work with Dr, and Have Said Doctor Increase Fees

Quote Quoting txtreasure21
    View Post
    If you are working with an Attorney regarding an auto accident, and Said Attorney refers you to a certain Doctor for some of your treatment. And the Doctor wont bill your health insurance as all the other providers will and that he will turn a bill into the attorney when treatment is done.(Chiro)
    This isn't a complete or particularly coherent sentence.

Let's start with an explanation as to why this doctor won't bill your health insurance. Does he not accept your insurance?

View Post
    Fast forward and I find that the medical billings and numbers don't match what I show.
    What "numbers" are you talking about that the "medical billings" don't match? Are you talking about only the "medical billings" for the particular doctor mentioned in the first paragraph of your post? Also what does "what I show" mean?

View Post
    And when I questioned attorney about this dollar amount not matching what EOB's and my out of pocket I cant get an answer to what the final bill for his "Doctor" but the difference is almost 5K.... Is this something standard or just crooked?
    I haven't the slightest idea. Nor would I expect an attorney to be able to explain the correlation between your medical bills and your EOBs. What does "can't get an answer" mean? Is your attorney just ignoring your question? Refusing to answer? Or does he just not know the answers?

Default Re: Is It Unethical for Attorney to Work with Dr, and Have Said Doctor Increase Fees

View Post
    I cant get an answer to what the final bill for his "Doctor" but the difference is almost 5K.... Is this something standard or just crooked?
    Both.

I suspect that you found yourself an "ambulance chasing" lawyer in cahoots with a chiropractor that inflates the bill to make your claim larger.

When I was a liability claim rep I saw this happen quite often. Even had a chiropractor offer me $100 for every accident victim I steered his way.

Chiropractors are the bane of the insurance industry. Well known for over treating and over charging.

Im sorry for the scramble,
    #1 The Doctor that I see doesn't bill Insurance but I could file the claims myself as my Insurance would cover this. But the doctor only told me that he works directly with the attorney and that the attorney will get the billing.

All of my medical and Hospital bills were billed through my health insurance, Attorney called to make sure that we are on the same page as far as total cost for what my health insurance paid, health insurance filed subrogation. And those totals that insurance show is what I show as far as what the Health insurance has paid out. And then of course my out of pocket.

However the Chiropractor charge that is being added to the total of Medical cost is insane compared to what they normally charge for someone coming in for visits.

I have asked the attorney what the final billing for the Chiropractor was and how much that is for and He will not answer that question but it is a 5 k difference. Which tells me that is what he is charging.

And then again maybe they have just never had someone question what they are doing but I will not play into this type of game or do I want to be a part of it. The attorney has a good reputation but that doesn't mean what they are doing is on the up and up and it appears they are not. They can only inflate the claims so much as the other driver only had liability to begin with. And now we are at over half that in medical bills.

You still aren't making it clear. Have the chiro's bills been submitted to your medical insurance carrier either by you or anyone else?

No they have not since I cant get that billing to submit the claims and no the Chiro has not and will not bill my insurance or let me.

View Post
    Im sorry for the scramble,
    #1 The Doctor that I see doesn't bill Insurance but I could file the claims myself as my Insurance would cover this. But the doctor only told me that he works directly with the attorney and that the attorney will get the billing.
    That's fine. Doctors are not obligated to deal with or accept insurance.

Everything sounds like the doctor is charging high rates. If you recover those amounts, that's great. If not, then he'll likely discount the bill.

All that said, I'd be wary of a doctor and lawyer who won't give you copies of your bills. On the other hand, if he's not looking to you to pay the bills, then you really don't have to care.

You are correct it just seems a bit odd, He isn't looking for me to pay them but get paid out of what the auto insurance settles on. 21 visit's to Chiro and charging over 5k Just wow, But then again I don't know what sort of business agreement the Dr and attorney have with one another but sounds like it is pretty good scheme. When the normal cost of an adjustment is only $40 in their office. So the attorney will get more and so will the dr. Oh well

thank you for your reply,

View Post
    When the normal cost of an adjustment is only $40 in their office. So the attorney will get more and so will the dr.
    And you'll get less.

For example, if your claim is worth 10,000, it's worth 10,000 whether the doctor charges 5000 or 2000. See how that works. A savvy claim rep is likely to disallow a lot of the quackopractor's charges when offering a settlement.

1. Sponsored Links