Default Hidden Camera in My Room

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Illinois

There is a hidden camera in the electric alarm clock in my room. The clock was in the room when I rented it 5 months ago. The rent was due yesterday but I didn't give the landlord any money. I have a lease till the end of November. Landlord and I were talking about extending it couple of weeks ago but now I don't know what to do. I have a video of the bug detector saying: "Potential Electronic Bug Around" when it is close to the alarm clock. The landlord is single, no kids, has two properties, 8 or 9 tenants and a full time job.
    During the five months I had two female visitors staying in my bed several times.

What to do?

Default Re: Hidden Camera in My Room

Pay your rent and remove the alarm clock.

Quote Quoting JMU61
    View Post
    My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Illinois

There is a hidden camera in the electric alarm clock in my room. The clock was in the room when I rented it 5 months ago. The rent was due yesterday but I didn't give the landlord any money. I have a lease till the end of November. Landlord and I were talking about extending it couple of weeks ago but now I don't know what to do. I have a video of the bug detector saying: "Potential Electronic Bug Around" when it is close to the alarm clock. The landlord is single, no kids, has two properties, 8 or 9 tenants and a full time job.
    During the five months I had two female visitors staying in my bed several times.

What to do?
    I would take the alarm clock to the police if you are certain it has a video camera in it.

You can buy these online. Usually they're to help provide security in offices, small stores, etc. Have you tried doing a Google search on the make/model or UPC code to see if you can find it for sale and verify that there is no "potential" bug, there is an "actual" bug?

Someone could have installed an aftermarket tiny camera and microphone but those are pretty obvious, and most people don't have the technical expertise to do it so they just purchase a pre-made unit.

I am not questioning that your bug sweeper picked something up near the clock, or even that there's something about the clock that is setting it off. But there's a fairly steep jump between a "potential electronic bug around" and a definite hidden camera. Those bug sweepers pick up radios, GPS devices, cell phones, etc; did you turn off all laptops, Bluetooth devices, cell phones, anything that could generate a signal, before you swept the room? For that matter, does the clock itself contain a radio? There are sweepers that specifically look for camera lenses - did yours?

I'm not saying you've got nothing, but I think you have a ways to go before you can say definitely that you have a hidden camera in your clock.

Quote Quoting JMU61
    View Post
    I have a video of the bug detector saying: "Potential Electronic Bug Around" when it is close to the alarm clock.

What to do?
    If you are basing this 100% off of a "bug detector" alert you need to do some more investigating to find out if the clock is actually a video camera. If it is you need to report it to the police without alerting the landlord.

Pay your rent as normal.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    I am not questioning that your bug sweeper picked something up near the clock, or even that there's something about the clock that is setting it off. But there's a fairly steep jump between a "potential electronic bug around" and a definite hidden camera. Those bug sweepers pick up radios, GPS devices, cell phones, etc; did you turn off all laptops, Bluetooth devices, cell phones, anything that could generate a signal, before you swept the room? For that matter, does the clock itself contain a radio? There are sweepers that specifically look for camera lenses - did yours?

I'm not saying you've got nothing, but I think you have a ways to go before you can say definitely that you have a hidden camera in your clock.
    That is why I suggested taking it to the police. They can likely rule out fairly quickly whether or not there is actually a hidden camera.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    That is why I suggested taking it to the police. They can likely rule out fairly quickly whether or not there is actually a hidden camera.
    Makes sense, I suppose.

1. Sponsored Links