Question Does Previous Suspension from College Affect Chances of F1 Visa Renewal for Return

Hi, I was suspended for a year and plan on returning soon. My sanctions are complete and my university has issued me a new I20 to apply for a new F1 Visa even though my previous one is still valid. When I apply, will the immigration officer reject the Visa because I was previously suspended from the college? My suspension was due to academic reasons and the college has allowed me to continue fully and finish my education now. I have already spent 3 years in college and this is my final year so it is crucial that I return and finish my degree. Will the VISA interview officer have a problem with academic dishonesty even though the college has allowed me to return?

Default Re: Does Previous Suspension from College Affect Chances of F1 Visa Renewal for Retur

Sorry, but your original F1 visa was terminated when you ceased to be a full-time student at the school for which it was issued. You may have been able to transfer it to another school at the time and keep it active, but at this point, you need a new F1. If you attempt to enter, you will almost certainly be denied admission. Since you are expected to know what the terms of your visa is, you may be subject to sanctions (bar from further admission) for attempting such.

Default Re: Does Previous Suspension from College Affect Chances of F1 Visa Renewal for Retur

Hi, Thanks a lot for your reply. I understand that I will have to get a new Visa Stamp. However, during the interview, is the US Embassy official going to have a problem with 'why' I suspended so will she issue a visa as long as the college has accepted me again? Note that I have not committed any Immigration violations such a overstay or unauthorised work. It was an academic issue which is over now since my suspension period has ended and the college has issued a new I20.

I am surprised that a student suspended for "academic dishonesty" - cheating on an exam, plagiarism, etc. - has been readmitted. This is likely noted on your transcript and will adversely affect your ability to get a job with a respectable company.

No one can predict what the visa officer will do since this will not be the only consideration. Just as you previously had to demonstrate funding and your intention to return home after completing your studies, you will need to do so again. However, your academic dishonesty will reflect poorly on your perceived honesty in the interview; if you would be dishonest at the university why should you be trusted to be honest at your visa interview where the stakes are far greater.

Do not even think about lying to the interviewer about the reason for your dismissal. The penalty for lying is far worse than your issues at school.

1. Sponsored Links