Default Attempting to Negotiate a Shorter Lease Due to Medical Issues

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: PA

My husband and I are both over 60. I am disabled, and have a progressive illness which renders me progressively weaker. Earlier this year we decided to purchase a single level home so that I won't have to use stairs, or a home where we can add modifications which wouldn't be realistic for our current apartment.

Unfortunately we had to defer our house search until only recently, and then our option to renew the lease came up. The lease was signed by us, because we didn't have a place to move to yet. I wrote a letter (certified) asking if an addendum for making the lease month to month rather than yearly could be added, since we were house searching due to health issues, and didn't want to have to break the lease so early. The landlord has basically ignored us. We understand that it may be inconvenient for him to change the lease after we already signed it, but this was our first suggestion. I wanted to open a dialogue and try to work out a situation that would be good for both the landlord and ourselves. We have had a pretty good relationship with him for years, so frankly not sure what to do if he won't even answer us.

Default Re: Attempting to Negotiate a Shorter Lease Due to Medical Issues

Your first mistake, if you have had a good relationship for years with the LL, was going all "legal" on him right from the start with a certified letter. You have likely scared him and now he is concerned with illegally discriminating against you.

Rolling back that fear may be tough.

Quote Quoting holidaygarden
    View Post
    We have had a pretty good relationship with him for years, so frankly not sure what to do if he won't even answer us.
    I'm sympathetic to your medical issues but there's a couple of things you have to understand.

Renting out one's property is a business. A lease is a contract. "Breaking" a lease is breach of contract which could result in serious financial consequences. The owner committed to you for a year at the stated rent. He has no obligation to change it to suit your needs. I don't think he fears you going "legal" on him. I think it's more that he doesn't want to, and doesn't need to, be bothered.

That being said, you could offer him an increase in rent and a buy-out amount that might buy you more flexibility in an amended lease that would allow you to leave early. Money talks.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    I'm sympathetic to your medical issues but there's a couple of things you have to understand.

Renting out one's property is a business. A lease is a contract. "Breaking" a lease is breach of contract which could result in serious financial consequences. The owner committed to you for a year at the stated rent. He has no obligation to change it to suit your needs. I don't think he fears you going "legal" on him. I think it's more that he doesn't want to, and doesn't need to, be bothered.

That being said, you could offer him an increase in rent and a buy-out amount that might buy you more flexibility in an amended lease that would allow you to leave early. Money talks.
    Thanks, that is a great idea. I am totally respectful of the fact that we have signed a contract, and will consider this thoroughly.

You didn't ask a question, and your post raises no legal issue, so I'm unsure what sort of response you're seeking.

Quote Quoting holidaygarden
    View Post
    our option to renew the lease came up. The lease was signed by us, because we didn't have a place to move to yet. I wrote a letter (certified) asking if an addendum for making the lease month to month rather than yearly could be added, since we were house searching due to health issues, and didn't want to have to break the lease so early. The landlord has basically ignored us.
    So...you've already agreed to a new lease? What is the term of that lease (i.e., from what date to what date)? Why did you try to handle this by sending a certified letter, as opposed to simply calling your landlord or going to see him in person?

Yes, I did already sign the new lease, for another year. The lease specifically says that it doesn't automatically renew, and that they would consider it ended if we didn't let them know in time. We feared we would be evicted if we didn't sign it. I did call the landlord, to explain our situation and he said that they didn't like people moving out in the winter time. We sent the letter after that, by certified because we wanted to make sure he received it and we don't have a physical address for him.

Once again: What is the term of the new lease (i.e., from what date to what date)?

1. Sponsored Links